Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about coolant loss!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default questions about coolant loss!!

hey guys,

my newer 04 engine i installed in mu 2003 disco is making me worry, i dont have any overheating issues and i dont see any smoke at the tailpipe, i do see water but i think its just moisture left over from combustion.....

i did have a coolant hose near the t-stat i changed and i've bled the system a couple times...spilling some coolant on the engine, so if i smell coolant i attribute it to spilt coolant on the engine and manifolds...

but the thing that makes me worry is my expansion tank....the other day i added some coolant and topped off the tank with the engine running and cold..i dont know how much coolant i lost when i changed the t-stat coolant hose...i added coolant when i swapped the hose...but i dont know how much i still had to add.....all i was using to judge was the wooshing sound in the cab...when that went away when things were topped off and bled ...i thought i was good

i dont think that i've lost any coolant lately ...but the plastic overflow tube was wet inside.....as if some coolant had left the overflow line.... should i worry about that....

i only have 200 miles on this engine and i didnt touch the head gaskets when i installed it.... it never overheats ....should i worry about the little drops of moisture in the exhaust...is that normal....i see other cars and trucks with it.....

what about the overflow tube ...or anything like that...am i running wild with this?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The overflow tube is doing what it is supposed to, it lets the excess coolant out, dont worry about that.

Moisture in the exhaust is normal, especially if you have not driven long, it is extremely humid outside or it has been raining for 2 weeks.

Just keep a eye on the coolant level and if it does not drop after a few days dont worry about it.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default water is normal

I live in south florida and now that it is 95 everyday, raining like monsoon's and humid as a sweedish sauna it looks like a waterfall every morning when you start the truck. water and carbon everywhere...every summer the same thing...

Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are overthinking it. Even if you do the most proper bleed, your expansion tank can still drop a little. Sealed systems are difficult to get all of the air out the first time. Keep an eye on your coolant level and watch the temp gauge when you are in traffic.

You should be fine,

Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about butt in but I am having some what the same problem since I change my T-stat and over flow tank ... I can fill up and next day it will be close to bieng empty also temp is half

Old 06-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JumPeR04
Sorry about butt in but I am having some what the same problem since I change my T-stat and over flow tank ... I can fill up and next day it will be close to bieng empty also temp is half
The temp gauge is supposed to be in the middle.
Did you bleed the cooling system?
Does your heater work?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i didnt bleed it and yes it does

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

You MUST bleed the cooling system.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23072
This is for a DII but it is the same for the DI just the bleed screw is on the radiator.
Thats why you are "loosing" coolant, the air bubbles are working their way out and the coolant is filling in where the air came out.