Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about the D2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 AM
Baja
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Questions about the D2

Q:

Why is the D2 so popular in the US?

What makes the D2 so popular compared to other LR's?

How does the D2 compare to other 4x4's for offroad use?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Popular in US because our gas is cheaper (for now) then EU.
Popular in US because the used D2 prices have fallen to less than $5,000 in most cases.
(see craigslist > sites)
Popular in US because the D2 is plush inside.
Popular in US because it is different than home brands aka GM, Ford, Fiat/Chrysler

Old 04-06-2014, 08:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The D2 started out in the U.S. with mostly on-road use buyers. Now the market has lowered the value enough that people who love Land Rovers but couldn't previously afford them now can. So the D2 has a devoted user market who will do the maintenance and wrenching largely themselves. The number of other Land Rovers in the U.S., the Defenders and Series Rovers, is very small compared to the D2. If you want a Land Rover as an enthusiast you have a limited model pool from which to choose. Defenders, because of their small number, command high prices. Series Rovers are either owned by people who keep them or they need to be rebuilt from the frame up. The D2 when properly maintained can outperform almost all other similar vehicles. The recent Jeep Wranglers are the exception. So the answers in the order of your questions; availability, affordability, and capability.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it because its good off road and good on road in stock form. Comes stock with double axle and a locking tcase (in my year) so it has a great offroad porential. The truck has character, I didnt buy it because its cheap. You have to be a certain type of person to own a land rover and love it.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine not because it was cheap but because i just wanted one and was willing to do maintenance and work to it myself. i tried to sell it because of gas being $3.74/gal but i just couldn't do it after driving it for so long wonderful truck plan to keep mine now till it has to be sold for parts/scrap

Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Q:
How does the D2 compare to other 4x4's for offroad use?
Personally the best I've had. My Jeep Grand Wagoneer was a close second and my Durango was very capable (especially in snow). GM sucks. Ford sucks even more. Had a Nissan Pathfinder that was absolute crap. The only path it was good for was the one to the mall.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

well, i thought it was an old 4runner and couldn't get a ride home......so

Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

really I have had better off road performance from other trucks, but the d2 marries the comfort and amenities with exceptional capabilities. comfy,capable and has character.

prolly more popular than other lr because of supply and price point.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one a little of a year ago simply because I was always wanted one. I like their look, not too many on the road and thus, a little different than all the other SUVs on the road. Also, I could finally afford one ten years later (owner of an '03 disco). Just a simple soccer dad, everyday car.

We also travel in a motorhome during summer months and needed an SUV to tow behind the rig. The Landy worked out nicely.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

they became popular because our government wont let us have REAL TRUCKS like Defenders.

Quick Reply: Questions about the D2