Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about replacing brake lines and hoses

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 01:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about replacing brake lines and hoses

Hey guys, I'm doing a big brake repair on my Disco II because my brake lines running to the back were both rusted through and needed to be replaced. I got a new brake line fabricated with flares and everything for the line running to the back left wheel, but I'm having trouble with the one running to the back right. I've read through multiple pages on this forum, but still can't find the answers I need.

First question I have is how the heck am I supposed to fit the brake line running to the rear right wheel underneath the car with all those crazy bends and turns in it? I don't have any big car jack handy and I'm just doing this out in the street. I thought about creating the 2 or 3 90-degree bends closest to the wheel first, and then bending the rest underneath the car. I also thought about splitting it in the middle where it runs straight across the bottom of the car and then attaching it after installation with a union underneath. Can anyone please point me in the right direction on how to do this? I can draw up some pictures if my wording is confusing.

Second question is about the brake hoses. While trying to separate the brake line from the hose on the rear right wheel, I accidentally snapped off the head of the fitting. I guess that means it's time for a replacement hose. I've seen everything ranging from $12 for one hose, to $180 for a whole SS set of hoses. I think I'm just gonna replace the one and not all of them because if I do them all, I risk damaging all the other fittings and having to remake every single brake line around the Disco. Can I just buy a single hose like this one for $12 from AutohausAZ? Or should I get an OEM one from ebay for $40? Thanks guys.

Autohaus link: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/281_13...xoC0rsQAvD_BwE

Old 01-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

I believe your local parts store should have those flexible brake lines they bend easy and you can route them wherever
as far as the small lines going to Caliper Atlantic British or rock auto will have a set there are all kinds but I would buy extended ones if you plan on lifting the disco or. Just get a oem style set

than when your done give your rig a good rust spray oil or whatever is in your area

Old 01-12-2020, 12:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I'll check out what they have on Atlantic British. I'll probably just go for OEM for now and then if I decide to keep my Disco and lift it, then I'll get the extended ones.