Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on Replacing Coolant Tank/Coolant Expansion Tank/Coolant Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Questions on Replacing Coolant Tank/Coolant Expansion Tank/Coolant Reservoir

The coolant tank/expansion reservoir for my 2003 Discovery II arrived yesterday.

I checked the posts in the forum and couldn't find one that showed how to replace the tank. The closest one I could find was how Rover_Hokie showed removed the tank from its brackets and hanged the tank using bungie cords.

My question is how do you replace it? Do you simply detach the two hoses, try to spill as little as possible of the coolant from the old tank, re-attach the hoses to the new tank, and refill the coolant? Do I need to worry about trapping air inside the coolant system? If yes, how do I "burp" the coolant system?

While I'm servicing this component, is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks a million!

Al
'03 D2 SE7

Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
Do you simply detach the two hoses, try to spill as little as possible of the coolant from the old tank, re-attach the hoses to the new tank, and refill the coolant? Do I need to worry about trapping air inside the coolant system? If yes, how do I "burp" the coolant system?

While I'm servicing this component, is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks a million!

Al
'03 D2 SE7
I would use something like this
Lumax LX-1185 Black 18 oz. Suction Gun with 12" Vinyl Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive Lumax LX-1185 Black 18 oz. Suction Gun with 12" Vinyl Hose : Amazon.com : Automotive
to get all the coolant you can out. Then simply remove the two hoses, and reattach to the new coolant tank. After putting the coolant tank on, just do a proper bleed of the system to make sure there is no air in the system. Also, be sure to get a new expansion tank cap that will vent properly.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The tank itself is a no brainer. Its the plastic return hose and everything else in there that is going to break as soon as you fiddle with it. Just block off some time so that you are not in a hurry. OR as the Camel Trophy video states " go as slow as you can, but as fast as you have to" and get it done. Have fun!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Servicing Coolant Reservoir/Coolant Tank

The procedure for bleeding the coolant can be found in pages 26-2-13 and 26-2-14 of the Rave workshop manual for Discovery II.

Thank you to everyone

Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

take out old tank put in new tank. If you break some hoses you can use rubber high pressure ones and a few clamps. Next to replacing the TStat its one of the simplest.