Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick shout out to Harbor Freight

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harbor Freight is one of my favorite catalog order companies and they send me flyers in the mail often and I enjoy browsing them. The only problem I have is that almost every one of the flyers has a coupon on the back for free merchandise or free something.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only problem with the place is that I can not get out of the store without spending money on SOMETHING. friggin' tool stores...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is an old thread you've dug up. I've moved to better USA made tools since then but still frequent HF for the stuff that would cost a small fortune. I just bought a vacuum pump and a set of AC manifold gauges to service my AC system. Just don't forget to print out one of these every time you go:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

And read through this thread to help separate the crap from the good stuff:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27192

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i got a soldering set from HF. we don't have any stores nearby so i always have to order online. i used it to rewire a club members ABS module worked awesome. will order more from them soon as i need some of those exact tools listed above. have to do a front left hub of my own in two weeks.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

Break bulk cargo is typically material stacked on wooden pallets and lifted into and out of the hold of a vessel by cranes on the dock or aboard the ship itself. The volume of break bulk cargo has declined dramatically worldwide as containerization has grown. A safe and secure way to secure break bulk and freight in containers is by using Dunnage Bags.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Mudding

HF is the F-ing best!! I have been shopping there for years and I have yet to break anything that cost >$5. Get there one-man-bleed brake tool - it rocks!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Mudding

I love 'em too. The majority of my workshop and garage is filled with their equipment, and to date, the only items that have failed are ratcheting wrenches. The only issue for me, is I usually end up coming home with way more than I was looking for and have to start new projects just to use the tools! Which means less time for wheelin', etc!! LOL!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
This is an old thread you've dug up. I've moved to better USA made tools since then but still frequent HF for the stuff that would cost a small fortune. I just bought a vacuum pump and a set of AC manifold gauges to service my AC system. Just don't forget to print out one of these every time you go:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

And read through this thread to help separate the crap from the good stuff:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27192
I love HF as much as the next guy (it's an hour away from me and I still manage to get in there every month or so; I'm sure I look hilarious slowly shuffling down each isle, eyes glazed, mouth slightly agape). Every time I go in I buy something, and for the most part I love the quality and certainly love the price.

THAT said, let me add a gentle word of caution to all the exuberance: you've got to be careful with their tools. What that means is use common sense when you're using their stuff and if you're doing something critical pay especially close attention.

Case in point, I was torquing my intake back in place after replacing the gaskets with a HF 3/8 torque wrench, and SNAPPED A BOLT OFF IN THE HEAD. Silly me, I should've realized I was going beyond the 60ish ft lbs, but I was just plowing ahead without thinking. The bolt came out no problem, but I took that wrench back immediately. I still use a 1/2 torque wrench for wheels lugs, etc, but only non-essential stuff. Freaked me out.

A caveat to the caveat: their tools beat the SNOT out of Autozone or Advance by a long shot when it comes to quality. I flat refuse to buy that crappy "OEM" brand for ANYTHING anymore. Give me HF over that stuff every day of the week.

Just a little tempering...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Another word of caution.

I bought an engine lift from HF a few years ago to pull the engine out of my Nissan. Had the engine out and and slowly lowering it to the ground. When I was a few inches off the ground the hydraulic filler plug burst. Fluid went all over the garage and the engine dropped to the floor. Luckily no one was hurt or any damage to the engine.

Promptly returned that lift and bought one somewhere else which has been used plenty of times no problem. Just don't remember where I got it from, probably Sears.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKong8247
Another word of caution.

I bought an engine lift from HF a few years ago to pull the engine out of my Nissan. Had the engine out and and slowly lowering it to the ground. When I was a few inches off the ground the hydraulic filler plug burst. Fluid went all over the garage and the engine dropped to the floor. Luckily no one was hurt or any damage to the engine.

Promptly returned that lift and bought one somewhere else which has been used plenty of times no problem. Just don't remember where I got it from, probably Sears.
same reason i don't by condoms at Ikea.

Quick Reply: A quick shout out to Harbor Freight