Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Overflow Hose Snapped

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Overflow Hose Snapped

Its -28 C here today and I went to put a charge to my 2000 Disco 2's battery. (A story for another time. This will be fixed in the new year when I get back from vacation) The problem is that I moved the overflow hose that comes out of the radiator beside the battery and it snapped in two. I have tried to repair it but dont have any clamps and tape wont stick in this temperature. Can I plug the hose that comes out of the rad so that it doesnt spew anti freeze everywhere or will this cause an issue? I should be able to get it fixed in the next few days but I do need the vehicle to get to work. Would appreciate some advice. Thanks

Last edited by cowtown; 12-13-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some fuel line and a few small hose clamps dont overtighten the clamps as they will crush the hard plastic

Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
4wd Low

That was what I was thinking of doing but the problem is that it cracked in two right were the line goes under the plastic radiator housing. I unscrewed it to have a look but theres now way to get fuel line or a clamp on it without snapping off another piece. It looks like I can get it into my mechanic in the morning and I wont drive it today. What I need to know though is if it will do any damage driving it as is ( other than creating a mess with the antifreeze) or if I should just plug up the hose coming out of the rad so I can drive it to the mechanic?

Last edited by cowtown; 12-13-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cowtown
Its -28 C here today and I went to put a charge to my 2000 Disco 2's battery. (A story for another time. This will be fixed in the new year when I get back from vacation) The problem is that I moved the overflow hose that comes out of the radiator beside the battery and it snapped in two. I have tried to repair it but dont have any clamps and tape wont stick in this temperature. Can I plug the hose that comes out of the rad so that it doesnt spew anti freeze everywhere or will this cause an issue? I should be able to get it fixed in the next few days but I do need the vehicle to get to work. Would appreciate some advice. Thanks
I'd have a new one installed. With your milage it would probably be brittle in the Summer as well much less at -28C!!!! I'd, Replace the other ones too.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
4wd Low

I plan on getting it replaced tomorrow. I just want to be able to drive it there instead of having it towed. I'm pretty sure it will be ok if I plug the broken piece coming out of the rad. It would be nice though if someone with more experience could confirm if this is the case. Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Don't plug it, I broke mine and was able too make a temp fix by using a washing machine hose, just remove the top cover off the radiator and remove the broken piece and and run the hose to the expansion tank and connect it there.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:37 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could probably even duck tape the 2 ends together for a temporary fix.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a ride with someone else to the dealer or parts store.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't plug the hose and drive. The overflow cap is the pressure release device in the cooling system. By plugging the hose going to it, you eleminate that, and when the cooling system starts building pressure, it will have no where to go. Then you risk it blowing something else. Hose,gasket,etc.

If you drive it with it open, you will have a hard time replacing the coolant you'll lose. But if the mechanic is close enough...

Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
4wd Low

Well my local land rover mechanic blew me off and the dealership is too busy to get me in anytime soon. They do have the part which Im going to pickup today or tomorrow. Has anyone had experinece replacing this? I checked the rave (the part is actually called the radiator bleed pipe) and unless I'm blind it doesnt show me how to replace it. It looks pretty simple but you all have probably heard that before. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Radiator Overflow Hose Snapped