Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio, cruise control, radio control, and horn all went out last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going down stairs at lunch to re clean the bolt and wires...give you an update soon.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Drifting

took off both plates....saw two grounds.....cleaned them both...still nothing...going to get a test light or multimeter later...see pic....let me know what to do with test light or meter....i should have it all tonight got to get a o2 socket anyway.....

Attached Thumbnails Radio, cruise control, radio control, and horn all went out last night-wiringpic.jpg  
Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the test light will tell you if a wire has power (or ground on it) however they usually are not safe for computers, a meter will do the same thing as well as a few other feature and are computer safe (but usually quite a bit more, a cheap one from walmart will most likely be about $20).

Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK this question is for the guys who use the disco 2 rave cd,
are there any diagram schematics or do they just explain where each wire goes for each circuit? I am trying to read a schematic but all I see is an explanation of the circuit with wire colors and connector numbers.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

southfloridadiscoII I have a few questions for you as well, you say your radio and your radio controls all went out, what radio system do you have? Harmon Kardon? am I to assume correctly that when you say your radio controls went out it is because the radio went out, or did something else tell you that?
about the cruise system, the main power button for the cruise control, does it light up and the whole system just doesn't seem to work or is the main power button not even lighting up?

I can tell you where to test what after I know these answers,
Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Drifting

got the multimeter....what is the next step??? also got my repair manual disk and it was cracked in shipment.....that will have to wait.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
southfloridadiscoII I have a few questions for you as well, you say your radio and your radio controls all went out, what radio system do you have? Harmon Kardon? am I to assume correctly that when you say your radio controls went out it is because the radio went out, or did something else tell you that?
about the cruise system, the main power button for the cruise control, does it light up and the whole system just doesn't seem to work or is the main power button not even lighting up?

I can tell you where to test what after I know these answers,
Thanks
Horn, cruise control, and original radio (harmon kardon), controls.. I have no idea about the cd changer....if it works or not....main button not lighting up either for the cruise control....go the multimeter waiting for further instructions.....repair manual cd arrived but was busted...ahhhh!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I hope this does not get too confusing for you if you don't understand something message me and I will try to explain it better.

the first place I would suggest checking is the ground path from the horns to the relay, it would be easier to do this with 2 people however if you can put your meter somewhere visible you could do it by yourself, you will want to go to the engine compartment fuse box and pull relay number 13 out. the socket that the relay was plugged into will have 4 or 5 connections in it. 3 vertical and 1 or 2 horizontal. at least 1 maybe 2) of the 3 vertical slots will always have +12 volts on it and i will have -12 volts while the horn button is pressed. you will want to connect the positive lead of the meter to the positive terminal of the battery and the negative lead of the meter to the vertical slots on the socket one by one. have someone press the horn switch on and off for a few seconds as you probe each slot with the meter leads, you should find one slot that will flash +12 volts on the meter every time the horn button is pressed, if you dont your problem is in the ground path if you do your problem is in the positive path. After you have done this test let me know what your results are and we will go on to the next step.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 03-07-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Drifting

will do tonight....this sounds just for the horn...I will get back to you

Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

well it is just for the horn, but it is for the ground path of the horn, which is partially shared with the other problems you are having, thus helping us pinpoint where the fault lies (it is also the easiest thing to check). if the ground path to the horn is good we will next backtrack the power path from the cruise control (that will be pretty easy to).

Quick Reply: Radio, cruise control, radio control, and horn all went out last night