Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which radio do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio do I have?

I'd like to be able to run my ipod through an after market stereo (as well as do a few other things). For compatibility purposes, I was wondering which head unit I have (Alpine or whatever else was offered).

Also, is there a factory amplifier (not contained within the head unit) in this system?

Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Which radio do I have?

How are you wanting to run your junk-pod? Through a cassette adaptor, FM modulator or RCA jacks?

Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling

With an aftermarket deck using a USB connection. Sorry, I should have specified that I plan on replacing the stock head unit. I'm not impressed with the sound/tunability and the backlighting flickers on an off (and many times stays off) when the truck is in motion.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Team Owner

Well if you are going to replace the factory head unit then it doesnt matter what brand it is, does it?
I also repalced my head unit, Best Buy will install for free if you buy from them.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Spike that if you're replacing the head unit then it doesn't make a difference what the factory radio is. As for the amp, I believe that all Discoveries use an amp separate from the head unit, but I could be wrong. What is your speaker configuration? Do you have the tweeters in the pillars and woofer in the back door?

Old 11-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Do you have the tweeters in the pillars and woofer in the back door?
Yes. Where is the factory amplifier located?

On occasion, head units do make a difference in compatibility. Bose systems are mostly responsible for this though.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

The amp is under the dash behind the glove box.
All that they will need to do when they install your new head unit they will just need to use the adaptor harness, no big deal, those guys know what they are doing.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just install a sirius and be done,,,

i never get tired of that,,,

Old 11-30-2008, 04:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys them some conflicting comments going on here. He has a D2, TOTALLY diff to D1

For a start thats an Alpine Headunit, if you have the rear door subs, then you have a "high line" system.

You have a D2, so your Amp is under the front seat opposite side to the CD changer.

Take it from me, you CANNOT replace that headunit and continue to use the factory amplifier it will work, but your volume control will be useless and it will sound awful So if you replace the headunit, you will need to bin tha amp and find another "aftermarket" amp to power all the speakers and its more hassle than its worth.

This is because the factory headunit is only a output to the amp, there is NO amp in the headunit like after market units. If you replace it the factory amp then tries to amplify the "high level" output from the new unitand it dont work well at all. You will also loose the steering wheel audio controls.

So, you can get an adapter to use with your headunit so you can add your Ipod and can keep everthing as it is. You will loose the Cd changer as the headunit only has 1 AUX out. the unit is from Grom audio, and there is a post install on here from one of the guys using it. It works well and you still get the function of the steering controls etc

Heres the post, and imo the BEST way to go

https://landroverforums.com/m_55949/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Team Owner

If you want to keep the factory unit you can keep the CD changer buy using a RCA splitter, you can double your input/outputs that way.

A aftermarket unit will have its own amp, no extra amp is needed.
With the wire harness you will bypass your factory amp.
With any aftermarket unit you will loose the steering wheel stereo controls.

Quick Reply: Which radio do I have?