Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Not Working

My radio was not working when I purchased it so I looked on here and took out the radio. I checked all of the fuses in both fuse boxes and the fuse in the back of the radio. The radio is not displaying anything so I am under the impression it is not the security code. Are there any in-line fuses or something like that to check?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Rock Crawling

I was reading the RAVE and saw there was a fusible link to the radio. Where would I find this?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling

I was working on the radio and pulled it out and blew it out with compressed air. I turned on the headlights and all of the lights on the radio lit up except for the display. I pressed the power button but nothing happened. Does that mean there is something wrong with the radio itself?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I would say radio has retired from service. Dismantlers like Paul Grant (on this site) can sell you one for a pretty fair price.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling

That is what I was afraid of. There wouldn't be separate fuses/fusible links for the lights and display would there?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was acting the same and turns out it was an issue with the power switch on the radio, but it works if I put a cassette tape in, it will override the power switch and turn the radio on when the tape goes in, and thereafter will come back on and function normally even when the ignition switch is cycled..worth a try

Old 09-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the lights and display have there own bulbs

Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Rock Crawling

I will try the cassette tape if I can find any laying around. For the lights, is there a way to open the radio to check the lights?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tip Two Rock. I put in a cassette tape and sure enough the screen illuminated saying side-1. The problem is that none of the buttons are responsive. I tried every button on the radio and the steering wheel. Then I could hear it moving inside when I would turn the key on and off so I kept turning it on and off and pried the cassette tape out. It then displayed a radio station on FM-2 but is still unresponsive to any type of button input.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like its time for a new radio as yours seems to be a couple more steps towards the grave than mine..if you want to get crazy u can try to take it apart and look for any obvious damage on the inside, one possible issue is corrosion on the pin connector between the metal front plate (where all the controls are) and the main body of the radio..but that involves desoldering the front mounting plate connection lugs in order to remove the plate and clean the pins, not really worth it with the low price of used radios.

Quick Reply: Radio Not Working