Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radius Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts
Default Radius Arm Bushings

So, it's come to my attention that my radius arm bushings are a little more than on the verge of giving up the ghost. I'm going to have to replace them. A couple of questions:

First, I do not have a press. Because of this I'm considering poly bushings because they (Atleast on leaf sprung vehicles) just slip in with a little lube. That said, I know they make some noise which I can begrudgingly live with. I also know, though, that they're more stiff. I don't really want to lose much articulation. Anyone have any experience? I've read they don't last terribly long.

Second, if I end up going back with rubber bushings, have any of you installed them without a press? I am considering just removing them and taking them to a shop to be pressed out and new pressed in. It honestly depends on how much of a pain in the rear they are on the Disco. My only real experience is with leaf springs on a Silverado and those were a massive pain in the a**, even with a small press.

Third, has anyone replaced them with any other kind of joints? Heim joints or the like. What was the cost, how much of a pain, did you notice a handling difference?

Just looking for any tips or info on this. It's a job I've been avoiding for.... well, like three years since I first noticed they were getting to be in bad shape. I'm almost ready to tackle it.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Alex_M; 10-23-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

When I bought my castor correction arms from rte earlier this year I requested oem rubber. They had a bad batch and couldn't get any to press in. They suggested the poly that they carry. I'm pleased with the poly. Not stiff at all and no noise! Easy to replace down the road as well. This was not the first time I've heard of oem bushings being out of spec and not being able to press in. Just an fyi.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on the poly bushings?

Old 10-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe 6000 miles.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Any differences noticed in articulation?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Rock Crawling

None that I've noticed. I'm very pleased with them. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Good to know. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Alex

IMO I would stick with the original LR equipment bushes as it's lasted me 14+ years and with some heavy towing to date. Personally I'm not a fan of polybushes as I have never known anyone with experience of them for 14+ years.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

I bought the britpart poly set for about 70 bucks 2000 miles ago. They’re mostly toast already and need to replace them. Arm to axle split/cracked open, and arm to chassis the rubber separated from the metal sleeve so the arm is riding closer to the bolt head (not middle). FYI most of the poly makers, you still need a press for the arm to chassis bushing.

i have the terrafirma arms, and the OE rubber bushings actually wont fit. Verified by a local shop and I found info on the internet that said the same.

polybush.co.uk also requires a press for the arm to chassis.

it looks like the super pro set does not need a press. I’m leaning towards trying those next. The poly appears to be a solid piece, rather than halved.

what brand are the RTE bushings?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:29 PM
Rock Crawling

I believe they are polybush. I also believe polybush makes the britpart ones as well. They are super easy to swap out. So, even if they last half as long as oe, I'll be happy to replace them.

Quick Reply: Radius Arm Bushings