Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising our kids wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Raising our kids wrong

Well, Sometimes crap comes back to bite you.

When raising our kids, we have spoiled them with brands.

When my kids were racing motocross, they knew nothing but KTMs! Mom always had a Land Rover because they were the best.

Now, I always promised my kids that I would buy them whatever vehicle they wanted, within reason, if they got college completely paid for.

My son is now is in his 3rd year at West Point and is allowed to have a vehicle on campus.

He wants a off road capable Land Rover.

I have a Discovery 2 sitting on the property and can put a Turner engine in it and do some cool lifting and accessories for about $18K.

Or I could get a similar mileage LR3 and do some tricking.

Given the fact that he is about to embark on a life as a 2nd LT and will be a various bases, I am worried about reliability.

I know, I came up with the idea of a tricked out Nissan Frontier, but he shot it down, hence the first part of this post.

What would the best option be?

Old 11-06-2016, 07:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Well, Sometimes crap comes back to bite you.

When raising our kids, we have spoiled them with brands.

When my kids were racing motocross, they knew nothing but KTMs! Mom always had a Land Rover because they were the best.

Now, I always promised my kids that I would buy them whatever vehicle they wanted, within reason, if they got college completely paid for.

My son is now is in his 3rd year at West Point and is allowed to have a vehicle on campus.

He wants a off road capable Land Rover.

I have a Discovery 2 sitting on the property and can put a Turner engine in it and do some cool lifting and accessories for about $18K.

Or I could get a similar mileage LR3 and do some tricking.

Given the fact that he is about to embark on a life as a 2nd LT and will be a various bases, I am worried about reliability.

I know, I came up with the idea of a tricked out Nissan Frontier, but he shot it down, hence the first part of this post.

What would the best option be?

With all do respect, You're debating putting 18k into a D2?

I would highly recommend entertaining the LR3 option.

Last edited by coors; 11-06-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

LR3 with around $3K of preventative maintenance.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by coors
With all do respect, You're debating putting 18k into a D2?

I would highly recommend entertaining the LR3 option.

Hahahahaa, I have been accused of being MAD! I have done it once, but it is a truck that will stay under my watchful eye. The only reason I am considering it this time, is because I have a D2 sitting here, but I am worried about all the little stuff I have to keep fixing just to keep my current D2 running and on the road. He is not going to have the resources or the money to do it.

You're right, I am arguing with myself.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by abran
LR3 with around $3K of preventative maintenance.
yeah, definitely the sane option, but he also wants it "big time off road capable". Another words, he wants it to look as cool as the D2.

Are the Johnson Rods the only option for lifting the LR3 so it can have cool big tires?

Old 11-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Lucky8 has a spacer kit and the gap tool to do more with the lift. On post he will have the auto craft center with tool and bay rental he can use. So keep that in mind.

In the end let's be honest what we want doesn't make sense 9 out if 10 times.

A completely gone through D2 should be good enough for government work and getting him from place to place.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a similar dilemma as a young officer in the Royal Navy. My heart lusted after a TVR which in no way could be considered a sensible option.

If if he wants to be able to beat on a D2 like you can with a modern vehicle perhaps consider an LS swap over the turner block? There's a guy on the American land rovers forum on Facebook that's swapping in the 4.8 LS and using the existing engine management. Looks really clean for modest gains in performance and efficiency.

The Discovery 3 and 4's are a massive advance in everything. You can also do an air to coil conversion if you wanted to eliminate an area of fragility.

For 15-20 you could also get hold of a Defender if he wanted to go really "rugged".

Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Hahahahaa, I have been accused of being MAD! I have done it once, but it is a truck that will stay under my watchful eye. The only reason I am considering it this time, is because I have a D2 sitting here.

You're right, I am arguing with myself.
I love it! We share similar passion for the beloved DII chassis. I've, dumped is a rather harsh word, selfishly invested half a fortune between my two DII's. Honestly, have never thought about it until now. I'd do it over ...

Sounds like the LR3 is a sound option.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

LR3 Coil Spring Conversion Kit | Suspension Kits

I see kits like this that claim to raise 2" over stock. Is that 2" over stock when the truck is in its highest stock position?

Old 11-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

18K, reliable, and capable off road?
Tacoma.
Or buy a diesel D1. Should be reliable or at least easy to fix.

Quick Reply: Raising our kids wrong