Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SuperSport: Thank you! Sometimes women (including myself) are just too intimidated to attemp mechanical stuff like this. I'll agree we're lacking upper body strength, but if you can borrow a little muscle to make up for that, and get some good guidance, like I've been provided here, there's no reason why a chick can't work on her truck :-D My father didn't work on cars, so I was never exposed. In fact, we had a handyman, electrician, mechanic, landscaper, exterminator.... I think my dad called the HVAC guy to change out filters every year! No wonder I don't know what spark plugs are.... LOL

And, "made in the USA" coupled with 2 recommendations...I'm ordering the Kingsborne wires right now.

Come on, weekend....

Your help has been

Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Mudding

Just a small clarification on the wires, I want the 8mm, correct? And the colors don't matter, so I can choose what I like?

Thanks again...

Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, 8mm the color choice is all yours

Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM
Baja

one other thing I would spend the 10 or 15 dollar that they charge for new wire holders, I had trouble fitting the wire into the smaller Land rover holder, they fit but would be easier with the correct size holders

Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Mudding

Are they just called "wire holders on the website? (For ease of searching and knowing I'm buying the right thing...)

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Baja
Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Mudding

Drowssap, thanks again, added to my shopping cart and "checking out" momentarily

Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I too will be going Kingsborne 8mm Blue when the time comes. They read very well on their spec pages.

When you do the wires, be sure you take a few photos of their positions BEFORE you remove them (Showing both ends), or change them ONE at a time. It's a common mistake to take them all off at the same time and then forget how they go back. If they are close, but wrong, the truck will usually start, but bucks and backfires.

These two images should help too:

Attached Thumbnails RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?-coil.jpg   RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?-firingorder.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the reminder - and the additional diagrams. I took a picture of my serpentine belt before taking it off....assumed I wouldn't remember. And was right, I didn't! Now that I've done it twice....I still won't remember :-D

Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I seriously take pictures of EVERYTHING! People laugh at me, until they ask me to remember something, and I've got a "Photographic" memory.

Especially jobs where I've got to put things back where I found them. I repair computers and cell phones a lot, and some of those laptops and cell phones have VERY tight tolerences, so I have to be exact when putting them back together.

I forget a lot of things. I actually take photos of my cat's favorite food, the tags of my best fitting clothes, prices of items in stores that I'm comparison shopping for, etc... My phone sends all my photos up to the cloud on SkyDrive automatically, so I have easy access to them any time I need to look something up.

Quick Reply: RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?