Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SuperSport - that's hysterical! And a great idea!

I take pictures of a lot, and didn't even realize I too was doing something similar.... the other day when I went to get something out of my DropBox, I realized it had been uploading every picture I took! I briefly looked for the setting to change that, then figured, eh, if I have the room, why bother stopping it? Could be a pic I need one day. Now you've given me even more incentive to leave it set as it is....

Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Mudding

OK, my rental car is due back Monday at 8am. I am about to delve into this project again, with a LOT of trepidation. I still don't think I understand how I'm aligning and removing the timing chain, and putting the new one back on.

None of the videos posted showed the process of lining up/taking off the timing chain....which is where I'm stuck. Nor putting the new one on. I'm going to search YouTube now hoping to find a video with just that. I'm definitely not understanding or missing something....it can't be this difficult!

Currently, I have the bolt back in the bottom of the gear, as the RAVE said. I think that this was a mistake, as when I was trying to line up the timing marks, I turned the bolt (tightening it again!) ...this was, of course, before I knew to take the spark plugs out. So, now the bolt is tight again.

My question is, should I break the bolt free again? Take it out? Then take out my #1 spark plug, and pick the RAVE back up from there, putting bolt back in to align marks?

When do I remove the "key"?

Won't I have the same problem - that is, if I tighten bolt to align marks, when taking off the bolt, the marks will un-align again?

And, can someone tell me - once aligned, how exactly do I get the assembly off as 1 piece as the RAVE states? There is a bolt in the top gear, but it seems un-budge-able...does that need to be removed/loosened?

I'm waiting for my "muscle to come help around 1ish, and just want to know if anyone can help me, step by step, to get back on track. Timing chain is my last obstacle, then I can begin re-assembling.

I'm feeling defeated this morning, just lost. If someone can talk me back onto the right track to pick up the RAVE where I went wrong, I'd appreciate it!

Also took everyone's recommendations - have new E3 spark plugs as well as the high performance wires. If I ever get that far! I'm dreading another attempt at the timing chain, as I just don't seem to be "getting it"! What on earth am I missing?

I'm hoping by tomorrow - hell, maybe even tonight - I'll love my DII again!

Please get me back on course...I'm so close!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Mudding

This is where I am now. Hopefully this pic shows, never attached one before, and on a tablet.

I took off that lower bolt earlier, then put it back on per the RAVE....then I think I made an error, I used that boo to try and align timing marks. So it is now tight again...and I imagine will back off the marks I was aligning as I remove it.

Also, the bolt in that top gear is in super tight (yes, we've already affirmed I'm not that strong). Should I break that loose before going on with the timing chain project?

Thanks all.

Attached Thumbnails RAVE is not helping me with timing chain....help please?!?-img_20130629_100415.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Mudding

Officially gave up on replacing the timing chain. :-( neither me nor my muscle-ous friend can break the bolt in the top gear free, and are now in danger of just rounding it out. Putting everything back together with the old timing chain still on. Epic fail.

I wish I knew something else to do...I made it so far...