Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-covering headliner

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good point as well. Maybe what I'll do is give the paint a go and if I'm unsatisfied I'll just go ahead and order some fabric and glue.

How's the install on the mirror?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

here is one i found just now which has some extra gadgetry... But the spring clamps is how mine is anchored down. you can sort of see the clamps in my picture near the bottom edge of the mirror. it is very sturdy and has never fallen off.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so it just clamps on over your old mirror? thats cool

and the painted headliner looks good, but i am not sure if i can get the effect i am shooting for with paint, but you never know i may just do that too...

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by discoxd
so it just clamps on over your old mirror? thats cool

and the painted headliner looks good, but i am not sure if i can get the effect i am shooting for with paint, but you never know i may just do that too...

yes it just clamps over it. I would have redone my headliner with black fabric since that was the look i was going for. Get yours the way YOU want. Mine is just one of the many options we can do.

I was telling my GF that now i will try and put up this sticker
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9850.cfm

where the sun roof would be and she was like, "Why? anyone who gets in car already knows it's a Land Rover, you don't need to remind them again once they are inside!"

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad painted his headliner in a dodge van and it looked great, he used regular semi-gloss house paint. He even color matched it at the store to the old cloth, it ended up with a nice smooth texture. I'm going to probably go that route when I get around to mine.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

i wonder if there is a way to somehow get this on my headliner, maybe as a giant vinyl decal or something...

Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

I bet you can. "I" would lay that image over the center so that all of it can be seen as opposed to having it stretch the entire length and get covered up by the plastic trim pieces and such. probably get it a size from the front of the sunroof front edge to the beginning of the rear sunroof front edge and then just as wide as the sunroofs or a bit wider. i would paint the exposed areas around it then coat the "decal" in some sort of flexible clear "coating"? (i dont know the term im looking for)

In my head it would look cool.....i think.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Pro Wrench

i started my head liner today, i took it down and rubbed the funky foam off with a scotchbrite pad. then used a wet one to get it clean. took the plastic peice to lowes got a quart of semi gloss paint color matched, and painted it. i used the whole quart and i think it needs one more coat to make it perfectly even, but it looks good. I think I will get a quart of satin, its on the shiny side, to finish it off. when I get it done I'll post some pics.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Winching

to get that image on your headliner - you think about going to one of those advertising product stores that make the giant car-sized vinyl ads for the side of vehicles and see if they can image print it over your existing headliner? once it is removed from vehicle of course?
and i seem to think that there is a process to dip-paint patterns and images onto plastic as well - thats how they do the real tree camo patterns onto non-fabric stuff.

hope it helps and post pics as you go!

good luck

Old 06-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

i still dont have any idea what i am gonna do with the stupid thing... i have considered everything from faux gator skin, to furs, to painting it the same color as the outside of the truck and maybe using that chalk board paint on it so everyone who rides with me could draw on it (though with my friends a know i would only end up with a bunch of "rocket ships" all over my headliner.... whatever i decide to do i will make sure to post up progress and complete pics when i am done...

Quick Reply: re-covering headliner