Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to Assemble My Engine After Head Gasket Job, Questions on Reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to Assemble My Engine After Head Gasket Job, Questions on Reassembly

Hey Guys, I have just finished tearing down my D2's engine alomst entirely. I pulled out everything I was able to over the past week. While my heads were in the shop getting rebuilt, I thought why not go ahead and change the front timing cover gasket and do a full cleaning on all the parts to match the super clean heads, so now i'm here and everything has come off and I spent about 6 hours total cleaning each and every component that came off the engine.

I removed all the old baked on gaskets with aircraft stripper and it worked like a charm within 20 minutes the old possibly original baked on gaskets simply removed themselves saving me a lot of time and work thankfully. I highly recommend it to anyone having trouble removing old tough to remove gaskets. Its safe for metals, but really dangerous of anything else so use with extreme care to avoid damaging parts and even your own health.

I then used purple power to clean all grease and grime from each part as suggested on the forums, it works very well just make sure to either remove or cover all and any electronic components before spraying with solution as not to cause damage. After spraying with purple power, let it soak for a minute or two as instructed and then procceded to use a stiff plastic bristle brush to remover the years of oil build up and dirt. Works well but have to use it a few times to remover all the build up. I then washed them down with a hose of regular running water.

So now to the main part of my post. Now that the components are as clean as I can get them I'm ready for reassembly... and I have a few simple questions I trust you guys can answer.

1. Can I use Permatex gasket sealer on all gaskets completely and on all seams to ensure a tight bond and no oil leaks, or will that cause damage to the actual gaskets and be of no gain?

2. Should I used different Permatex gasket sealers on different areas of the vehicle? i.e. Grey (Oil Resistant for Oil Pan), Red (High Temp for Valley Pan, and Timing Cover), Blue (Sensor Safe).

3. Is it possible to paint the Throttle body with High Temp Engine Specific paint? (I am curious because I think it would look really unique to match the body color on certain component under the hood)

Old 07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by momentum59
3. Is it possible to paint the Throttle body with High Temp Engine Specific paint? (I am curious because I think it would look really unique to match the body color on certain component under the hood)
THe throttle body shouldn't get too hot, so I doubt it would be a problem. But for future maintenance/not having to do it again, if you can possibly pull off powder coating it will look nice and last a long time.

I powder coated a bunch of under hood parts on a race car and they've held up very well for years. I picked up a cheapie kit from Harbor Freight and grabbed an old stove off the side of the road to use the electric oven to cure. For smaller parts, you could easily do the same with a toaster oven.

If you already have shop air, it's not too costly to get into this. The only problem is that once you start, you'll be looking for things to powder coat all the time.

Also, don't use your home oven unless you're single, or want to be.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by DarylJ
THe throttle body shouldn't get too hot, so I doubt it would be a problem. But for future maintenance/not having to do it again, if you can possibly pull off powder coating it will look nice and last a long time.

I powder coated a bunch of under hood parts on a race car and they've held up very well for years. I picked up a cheapie kit from Harbor Freight and grabbed an old stove off the side of the road to use the electric oven to cure. For smaller parts, you could easily do the same with a toaster oven.

If you already have shop air, it's not too costly to get into this. The only problem is that once you start, you'll be looking for things to powder coat all the time.

Wow just looked up that Harbour Freight kit, that's a great deal and I have a lot of things I want to powder coat now that i think of it, Thanks for the information my friend! I don't know if i'll start with my LR's parts or slowly learn on random metal objects.

We will see, Im kind of excited to get the DII operational again here in a few days. I'm trying to take my time to change everything properly and with no rush to do it right and last a long time. This is just the beginning of this car's journey... A lot more to come!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:21 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use anything on the head gaskets. I use permatex gasket sealer where I need to stick the gasket on and have it stay put like on the front cover and water pump gaskets. You can use it anywhere you want though. You have to use permatex on the valley gasket ends see the shop manual for details.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Don't use anything on the head gaskets. I use permatex gasket sealer where I need to stick the gasket on and have it stay put like on the front cover and water pump gaskets. You can use it anywhere you want though. You have to use permatex on the valley gasket ends see the shop manual for details.
Just the information I was looking for, Thanks! But the question still remains if i should use different Permatex sealer types grey, red, blue, black, etc.

another question is should i use it on the oil pan gasket?

Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 4 spots that you use sealer on the oil pan, you do not use it on the whole pan. Check in the RAVE manual where it goes. You use it at the front of the engine where the front cover and the engine block mates and at the rear where the rear bearing cap mates the block.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Haha, NICE!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dishwasher also does a great job of cleaning some engine parts, but the same warning applies.