Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy new Motor!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Ready to buy new Motor!! Help!

Ok, I have been posting asking for assistance for the past year or so with my blown 04' DiscoII 4.6L w/secondary air engine. I have just now secured $4,500 to find and replace the engine. I have seen some websites such as www.car-parts.com with some decent looking options around $3,300.00 that would leave me with $1,200 remaining to have this locally recommended guy to do the job, which he will do it for that price.

Does anyone have other recommendations as to where to find a motor??

Should I let him find the motor and hope he gets me a better price??

I have plenty of experience with cars and have replaced motors before, so should I just do the job myself??

Replacing it myself leaves me no warranty on the job but it will have 30day on the motor itself. This route could save me up to $1,500. If I have this shop do it, I would be shelling out every dollar but I guess I would have somebody to fall back on if something goes wrong. But I also feel that if something were to go wrong, I could diagnose it and fix it on my own without too much trouble.

What are your thoughts on these options, and do you have any different ideas?? I plan to start everything on Monday. Thanks alot and I cant wait to have this running after a year down time!!

Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Rock Crawling

Also, what about the long block option?? Can I just pull my motor swap parts over and it should be ok??

Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're getting an engine from a junk yard? If at all possible, you should see if they can start the thing up and you can see how it runs. (noises, leaks, smoke, CEL) Do a compression check, leak test, etc, before you put it in. As you know, mileage means nothing on these if it hasn't been maintained Nothing for frustrating than dropping in a motor only to find out it has a knock, or overheats. Yeah, it may have a warranty but I'm sure you have better things to do. If possible, do the job yourself. You might need that extra money for parts. That shop might be calling you up during the install and start recommending items to be replaced.... Good luck with the project and keep us posted. Oh and if you decide to do it yourself, post pics of the project!

Eric

Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May i ask what happened to the blown motor?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Winching

Save and get one from Turner in UK. See other thread thats active.

For cheaper option call Will Tillery at Roverguy.com

Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Let the shop do it all, you will get a warranty and you wont have to hassle with anything.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Winching

Let em do the install but i would be very involved with the selection/purchase of the block!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Replacement

Sorry to hear about your situation as I may some day be in that boat. I recommend going to the Turner Engineering website and reading about their product. There is a person who installed this motor as I would contact them to ask questions specifically cost, warranty, ease of tranaction, time period of order etc.

Turner's replacement motor supposedly took the 4.6L design and improved it's flaws. In addition to improving it they increased the gas mileage w/the long block. Reading the testimonials helps but the credible person would be Brooke (bbolin) on this site.

Good luck!
Zonk

Old 12-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 4.0l that I would sell you pretty cheap

Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dynomite
May i ask what happened to the blown motor?
The motor had overheating issues caused by a blown head gasket. Then the overheating caused a crack in the cylinder sleave which causes air to be pumped into the cooling system and pressurizes the hell out of it. Common with these motors apparently

Quick Reply: Ready to buy new Motor!! Help!