Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The real estate above my head in my Disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The real estate above my head in my Disco

My 2003 is the model without sunroofs but there is an indention where they would go. I tend to have a lot of small stuff around me when I am out driving either off road or on road. I keep a big LED flashlight handy, a hefty folding knife, a nice pair of 10x binoculars, and my eye glasses case and a sunglasses case to name a few. They end up either on the center console or on the front passenger seat when I am solo. Hate to say it but it gets to be a bit messy and I have to fish around for stuff or if I need to use the transfer case lever everything gets moved. Now I do use the small rack above the sun visors for maps and other small flat things but that got me thinking of adding something in addition.

My idea is to cut a piece of 1/2 birch plywood to the shape of the indent where the sunroof would be. I'll paint it with the same paint I used on my headliner, the standard LR beige one so it should look like something intended to be there and the birch ply should hold the paint well and not look as rough as a lower grade. And to that piece of plywood I will lay out and attach velcro strips so I can basically strap my junk to the ceiling. The flashlight came with clips to hold it but the velcro will insure it doesn't fall off on my head.

Not sure what else I could put up there but I'm sure there are other things. By using 1/2 ply it should be flush with the rest of the headliner. Now, the headliner is flexible and I don't want to have it sag from the weight so I think if I determine the space between the headliner board and the sheet metal I can cut some small blocks of wood and adhere them to the underside of the metal roof with a good contact adhesive and then just screw the plywood to the wood blocks. I figure I could drill 4 small holes towards each corner of the headliner and inert a nail to get the measurement of the space up there. By using removable screws I can take it down if I need to add velcro to hold something else.

One other thing I could add is a decent dome light that really puts out some light because as my eyes age I find that one installed doesn't help much. Anyone know of a source for one? Maybe LED?

Old 03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you could get it flush with the ceiling, why not make use of the indent to keep stuff out of your hair?
If you're just going to overlay it with velcro, have you considered using a thin sheet of aluminum flush up against the headliner? You could use the wood block construction and conserve the indented space.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

or another thought...just put your substrate on the underside (maybe make brackets to it from the support bars for added strength) then you can do some clean mounts directly through the headliner and save that 1/2" of headroom.

I found some little led dome lights on fleabay....they also have brighter led strips to replace the conventional tube bulbs........my dome lighting is horrible, too. I was originally, using those cheap battery powered push button puck leds....that helped but the only place that the magnetic backing would grab a hold was the door speakers.....janky

Old 03-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my dome lights with some LED bulbs from Ebay. Shipped from China (of course), but they are really nice. They light up the truck very well.

10 x Energy Saving 39mm Dome Light 12 3528 SMD LED Car Festoon Bulb Lamp White | eBay

I'm not sure how much headroom you have, but I was thinking you were going to build another shelf, using the indention for extra clearance to store things. Take the same concept of the shelf above the visor and apply it to the sunroof area.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I remove and paint my headliner on my S-trim D2, I plan on doing something similar, only I will be applying a field of MOLLE/PALS webbing so pouches and gear will remain secure. I don't trust strips of velcro to hold heavy items while going over rough terrain. I will also think about putting some in the rear cargo area for roadside kit, tow straps, etc.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout_Beagle
When I remove and paint my headliner on my S-trim D2, I plan on doing something similar, only I will be applying a field of MOLLE/PALS webbing so pouches and gear will remain secure. I don't trust strips of velcro to hold heavy items while going over rough terrain. I will also think about putting some in the rear cargo area for roadside kit, tow straps, etc.
Where you getting your Molle? Been wanting to do something very similar.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I purchased these and replaced all my overhead lighting. Lights the truck up like Fort Knox.

5X Festoon T10 BA9S White LED 24 SMD Panel Interior Dome Map Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay

Old 03-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I purchased these and replaced all my overhead lighting. Lights the truck up like Fort Knox.

5X Festoon T10 BA9S White LED 24 SMD Panel Interior Dome Map Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay
Any concerns about those being hotter than the original? I mean they shouldn't be on too much but still, thats my only concern.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you build it though, keep the fact in mind that one day whatever is up there will be subject to going from 75mph to a near stop in a fraction of a second... build it with that in mind

Old 03-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ScreamingLife
Any concerns about those being hotter than the original? I mean they shouldn't be on too much but still, thats my only concern.
No heat what so ever that I have seen.

Quick Reply: The real estate above my head in my Disco