Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it really worth it?

Hello All, I am the owner of a 2001 Land Rover Discovery SE7. I have had the Disco for two years now. When I got the car, I knew that it would be a challenge, especially because I read through this forum a lot before buying the car. I wondered why a vehicle that was supposed to known as the Best 4x4xFar had so many problems and complaints. However, I put my doubts aside and decided to give it a try. Well, $6,000 later, I am wondering why this car is worth it? I think that they look great and are very unique, but lets face it, is spending that much money on a car really worth it? Especially because you know that you will not get anything for your trade in the end. At what point is just better to get a 1998 Toyota Camry and get good gas mileage and reliability? I just want to hear some other people's opinion. I know that they are really amazing cars when everything is running well. I know that they can go places that other SUV's never could, but the question is, could they get back too? I just no longer see this car as being worth the money that it costs just to keep it on the road.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I hear you.
I have a 2003 with 88k. I bought it @ 48K in Oct of 2007. I have spent thousands in preventative maintenance. Probably could have bought a whole other crappy car by now.
I did have a learning experience at the dealer for $1700 with 2 bad O2 senors that they could not detect what was wrong, cause they were ignorant! I also replaced the crankshaft sensor too cause I hear that goes out. Now I read the forums everyday and try to learn from others experiences. And try not to be too freaked out about my Rover self imploding. I have thought about a car warranty many times from warrenty4wheels.com and Just did not want to give them $3000. I see that is the only way you could come out ahead if you had a major repair and you did not want to work on it yourself. That is if they did not back out your claim! I know may people on here are against the extended warranties. You have to do a lot research on them to find a reputable company. Check the BBB online.
I always think the younger the truck the better. Probably a 2004 is the best Discovery to get right now. Reliability depends on if they were paying attention that day at the Rover factory. I'm not a mechanic but I do understand how parts work and I am good at plug and play fixes. Which is what most of the simple fixed are on the Discovery. Dianosing the problem is 75% of the difficulty This is the nicest car I have ever owned and knock on wood has been great so far. If I can make it to 110k before the head gasket job I will be happy. With my Volo Gas Saver now installed I am hoping for 19mpg on the hwy and 16 mpg in the city. I have heard it takes up to 500 miles to adapt to driving patterns. I am keeping track of milage in the GasBook app on the iPhone. I will see

I go test drive cars with my girl friend b/c she wants a Subaru Forester or Outback. Nothing compares to my Discovery. And I don't see how paying $26,000 to $32,000 for new car with great reliability is much cheaper than fixing what you already own. I could put 3 used engines in my Discovery before I spend $20,000 and still be happy. Right now the new car that catches my eye is the 2010 Toyota 4 Runner. Kinda looks blocky like Transformers. But I will have to wait till 2017 to afford a 2010 Toyota cause they hold their resale value so well. I have always liked Tacomas too that was my second choice, but they were so expensive with high miles. The other SUV I like is the Mitsubishi Montero Limited. I dont know much about their reliability but their body styling is unique, too bad they stopped making them in 2002. The last two I saw on eBay needed new engines. Must have let the teenage daughter drive them till all engine oil drained out. There is my 2 cents.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4X4-t...US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited by bosshogt; 08-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, a nice cheap '98 Camry might be right for you...reliable, no payments (that's more $$ to put into your Rover ) and little or no stress.

In addition to my '99 DII, I own a '98 Subaru Impreza and an '07 Toyota Rav4. About the best thing I can say about the Toyota is that my kids fit in it and it's reliable...otherwise it sux @55...in my head I know its a good car, but I still hate it... The Subaru is great and it runs like a champ; my wife and I love it, but it's even older than my Disco. Before buying the Disco we tried to trade the Subie only to find that it's only worth about $1k. We decided to keep the Subie and buy a DII 'cuz I've always wanted one and when it runs it fills a big role for our family. Plus, I know the Subie will always start when I turn the key, so I don't sweat it when the Disco is having issues.

I've owned lots of really good, reliable cars over the years, but I don't want a car that disappears in sea of mediocre vehicles. Just about the only time my Disco disappears is when it's being towed away. (LOL!) In the end I guess I love it because it has class, but can still get down and dirty when it needs to.

I finally bought mine a couple months ago, and have had all kinds of problems, but I always try to remember that someone in one of these forums said something along the lines of, 'Rovers aren't transportation, they're a hobby.'

Last edited by dcarr1971; 08-12-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

your problem is comparing apples to oranges. Sure a Camry is fantastic on gas and great to get you to work and back every day. But if you like to off-road, fish, boat, hike, camp, or just be prepared for when **** hits the fan than your Camry does you no good and our great Land Rover vehicles excel. After all they were not developed for commutes to work, its a farm vehicle, a military vehicle, and now a luxury all-terrain kick a mountain in the @ss piece of egineering. They are not for everyone, nor should everyone consider buying one.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No!

I'm in the same camp with you, I don't think its really worth it. Mine is a weekend toy that is rarely driven, just 2000 miles in the 15 months of ownership, and it has cost me $4000+ just to keep it going, most of that being the new engine. The whole best 4x4xfar is a great piece of propaganda though and it may have been the case when discussing the original series rovers that traveled most of the world and could run off banana oil in a pinch. The disco is capable, but is only so if you can keep it running. It may get where another fourx couldnt, but it also might overheat, have a cpk sensor failure or whatever else and not get you back. LR now stands for " limitless repair " in my book.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it too. Had it been reliable, I would already have a lift, tires, winch bumper, an probably cdl. At this point I'm not sure if I should spend all that on a disco. Maybe a Jeep Rubicon would be a better choice.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

landcruiser guys are the same way ask me how I know

Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best 4x4 is a Jeep rubicon...the best luxury vehicle is a S class mercedes...the best utility vehicle is a chevy pick-up truck...the best passenger carrier is a van...the discovery is none of these but I know of no other vehicle that combines all 4 as well as the discovery does.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default not really

Well, you have finally seen threw the smoke and mirrors...best 4x4...in you Fu$cking dreams..It.s a rich persons POS... The Defender on the other hand...... awsome ..Try $32,000.00 on up for a weekend truck though...They are plain and simple a rich persons truck...If you can light a stack of hundred dollar bills on fire or when you get the bill from the dealer you dont look at it or ask how much, then it's for you... I have a 04 DII that i would prefer to push in a canal and collect the insurance... If you really want to get the LR expedition experiance...get a DI and fix it up ..tear out the carpet and dont worry about it...Why would you want full leather seats and carpet when your wading in 3 feet of water or out in the mud...It just doesnt make any sense...

Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

as a potential disco owner having issues with it's lack of reliability, I love this thread.
lol =)
I think I'll stick with the avalanche. but I'm still a huge disco fan. and maybe one day I'll get one to play around in. right now though, I need to get to and from work everyday w/o bending over and taking it once a month.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Mudding

Hell yes its worth it, I mean look at the damn thing, It's a Land Rover people, not a 4 door sedan. If you don't want a Land Rover then don't buy one. They need maintenance done properly, they need attention to detail. If you like to stand out in a crowd, then you like Land Rovers. If you are a tinkerer then you want a Land Rover. If you want to get back and forth to work everyday without having to perform maintenance, buy a honda accord, or a toyota camry, then maybe chug on over to mamby pamby land and get some self confidence. I really had no choice on that last bit, the commercial is on tv as I type this.

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?