Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ac?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Rear ac?

I have an 04 Discovery2 SE, 5 passenger.
I would like to add rear ac(front ac works great ). I've never seen a Disco with rear air, so I'm not sure what I need.
From what I can tell from reading here, all the rear ducts are in the roof? And run up the A or B pillars?So I would need the duct, and a control panel, which mounts by the middle dome light?
Would rear ac plugs be in the factory 5 passenger harness? Or would I need to splice into it?
I would want to source parts from s junkyard, for cost obviously. I plan on redoing the headliner soon, and figured while I had it out, I'de put a radiant barrier against the roof and look into rear ac.
I'm trying to plan and budget my build right now, so any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 07-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

My 00 has rear air. There's some kind of unit in the rear, under the drivers side plastic works in the cargo area. The vents run from there, up under the panels on drivers side, up and to the center. I imagine you'd need that unit as a starting place. Did a headliner insulation project a while ago, no pics saved. Basically got some thin silver colored insulation from HD, cut it to size on the headliner, taped it in place and installed. Keeps the heat from the roof out of the cabin. Those windows are another story.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Mmmmm, would not be easy. As James said, you need the rear evap assembly, all of the ducting, vents, and the switch. The harness may already be in place, not sure. You could pull these from a donor truck (easy part) but then you will need to tap into the refrigerant lines and extend them to the back. Factory lines are rigid so not sure if you could install original stuff without pulling the body. Maybe fab your own with copper?

Not impossible if you are determined, but not really plug and play either.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:06 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

It seems to me that adding to the rear is a lot of work to make it look right plus the parts. You need to extend the refrigerant lines to the back, get the factory blower / evaporator, the headliner with ducts, the fan control then re charge the system with freon. Not really sure why there is no duct work on a 7 passenger disco.
If only there is a smaller roof mount A/C from an RV, that will be easier less work but I know you want to look like factory.
Another option is to get a 2500 btu from ClimateRight then re engineer it to fit under the truck. But you have to take it a part to fit your needs. Seems like its a smaller unit. It does have heat and A/C so if you have an overnight on the road or trails, just plug it in a small generator like the quiet honda EU2000i. That seems to be cooler add on in any situation. Cheers and good luck

Old 07-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

A lot of work is an understatement.

If you really want rear A/C buy a truck that came with it and sell yours!

I know that's not directly responsive to your question but it's the best advice, I think.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01

I know that's not directly responsive to your question but it's the best advice, I think.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.
I guess I'de have to luck out and find one in a local junkyard then, rather than try and gather parts across the internet.
I didn't know there was a seperate unit in the rear, that does complicate things some.
If I could find the whole system intact in a junker, I'de be up to trying it.

And, I put a radiant barrier up in my attic over the winter, wow, what a difference. So I imagine it would knock it down a few degrees in my Land Rover. Especially since it's black on black.
Fortunantly for me, my ac works really good.

As always, quick and detailed responses here.
Thanks again, it's great help!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01

X1-^,,,,,
One of my Disco's have read A/C,, believe me you don't want to mess with pulling one from a doner, first it a loooot of work, 2nd all the parts & pieces in doner have to be in perfect order mechanically & cosmetically including all visuals panels, ( besides the nightmare of all rear A-C parts & plumbing that need to be fitted to your truck) I can tell you, that you will break some of plastic ducts & its plastic holding brackets while removing & reinstalling due to age,,
& after reinstal if successful you would not use it as much, front A/C if in good working order, is sufficant enough, I never use the rear unit, & I wish it had the cargo bin in driver side instead of A/C unit occupiying that area,,
I think Land Rover just put that rear A/C unit in some models to say , yes we can, & none were 7seaters, which is the model that can actually have benefit for the last row riders,

Old 07-22-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi

You might as well sell your truck and buy another with rear A/C rather than convert. It requires a rear A/C unit, A/C pipe work to the unit, ducts and outlets in the rear headliner and possibly a new headliner and electrical connections to the unit. It MAY mean changing the A/C compressor for a larger one, I don't know! It will mean tearing down so much of the truck it's cheaper to sell it and buy another with rear A/C. I have rear A/C in mine and it's good in the heat above 25-30C on CC but you'll need to run the A/C - CC all year round for at least 15 minutes per week to ensure the system and seals remain lubricated or they dry out and perish. Think carefully about this one, IMO it'll cost you a fortune and a lot of work.

PS: As Bom2oo2 says, a cargo bin would get more use in it's place.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 07-22-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I have rear AC and 7 seats.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Me too.

Quick Reply: Rear ac?