Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rear Air Bags

I just redid the suspension on my D2 with Old Man Emo parts with a 2 inch lift (previously had the lift) and after going to Death Valley I noticed a bit of sag (maybe 100-200 lbs on it). the previous owner took out the airbags but the air compressor is still intact and looks to be just unplugged. Is there a cheap way to put air bags in? I have no clue how much they cost but would like to keep the cost as low as possible!

Old 04-16-2021, 07:51 PM
Mudding

Oh I forgot to mention I want to keep the 2 inch lift and if its possible to use the air compressor to fill up tires (not sure if its powerful enough or if it will break)

Old 04-16-2021, 09:07 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

The onboard SLS compressor cannot be used to fill tyres. Far too small displacement.
100-200lbs is essentially one adult and one kid sitting in the back seats. If you're sagging with that small amount, I'd say your springs aren't the right rating.
Bags are usually more trouble than they're worth. Being able to reinstall them and keep your lift will depend on how your lift was done.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Mudding

ah okay! I did the suspension myself closely following the Atlantic British video on it. Thanks for the input!

Old 04-18-2021, 01:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

You can add air helper springs which run at about $100 a pair. This allows to adjust for load and you don't have the problem of total suspension failure, when there is a leak, a broken sensor or something else. I even don't use my on-board compressor for filling. I fill at home before I leave for a trip and air holds for 3 weeks without any noticeable loss.

I am wondering why you have the sag with your new OME springs. An upgrade to OMEs medium is in the plans for my Disco. I hope to get better load capacity over stock springs, since the air helper springs are at the limit already.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 05:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I just bought replacement bags from Lucky8 (Dunlop) for $194 for a pair.
There is a lift kit out there that is essentially a "puck" and a bar that adjusts the "height sensor" thing.
I like my airbags, and the self leveling feature. But it's definitely not "onboard air".

People don't like the bags because they don't last a long time (maybe 5 years?), and obvs its a more complicated system than a spring!

Old 04-19-2021, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I love the airbags feature, but then I tow/haul a lot. Self leveling is great.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Discorama
You can add air helper springs which run at about $100 a pair. This allows to adjust for load and you don't have the problem of total suspension failure, when there is a leak, a broken sensor or something else. I even don't use my on-board compressor for filling. I fill at home before I leave for a trip and air holds for 3 weeks without any noticeable loss.

I am wondering why you have the sag with your new OME springs. An upgrade to OMEs medium is in the plans for my Disco. I hope to get better load capacity over stock springs, since the air helper springs are at the limit already.
Im realizing now that I wrote the wrong weight down, sorry for the confusion! I was looking at those as Id like to build up the rear of the D2. I want to put a fridge, take out the 2 extra seats, possibly put a 2nd battery back there, and have the ability to add gear and or haul smaller things around! Im looking for an air compressor that will work well in the same spot that can withstand the environment plus being submerged under water. Ideally one with the ability to add a breather hose!

Old 04-20-2021, 01:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw
I just bought replacement bags from Lucky8 (Dunlop) for $194 for a pair.
There is a lift kit out there that is essentially a "puck" and a bar that adjusts the "height sensor" thing.
I like my airbags, and the self leveling feature. But it's definitely not "onboard air".

People don't like the bags because they don't last a long time (maybe 5 years?), and obvs its a more complicated system than a spring!
I love the idea of them but im the 3rd owner of it and 2nd owner took them out because of an airbag leak. I took the original air compressor out to see if I could modify it and a brownish liquid came out of it so I think its safe to say its toast! I was looking for an excuse to buy a better compressor and I finally have a reason to.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I saw a thread on this forum recently where someone found a (I think Harbor Freight) compressor that fit well into the location. You might try using the search function.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Bags