Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air Suspension - what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020 | 11:22 PM
|
Mudding
Default Rear Air Suspension - what do I need to know?

I'm going to look at a 2000 D2 tomorrow and it has rear air suspension which I believe is also referred to as SLS.
I'm obviously new to the air sus, can you folks tell me how to test it and what to look for?

I assume the button on the dash will simply make the rear go up and down? Should I check for leaks, etc?
I have head you get a nice ride out of them but most articles on the web talk about replacing them with coils.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 11-13-2020 | 11:57 PM
Drifting

This post I did a while ago might have some useful info:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...64/#post729464

Old 11-14-2020 | 09:42 AM
Winching

Mine has SLS and I love it. Works great when towing a trailer or lading it up with people.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020 | 09:43 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by SeanBaker
This post I did a while ago might have some useful info:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...64/#post729464
Thanks that's a fantastic thread. I have some questions:
  • is the air suspension really good? I assume it gives a nice ride, but would like to hear some feedback. Most I've seen have been converted.
  • Can you lift suspension that has airbags? (I assume someone sells a lift block?)
I found an owners manual online, so it seem that testing to see if it is working properly is straight forward.
thanks!
Nick

Old 11-14-2020 | 10:43 AM
Pro Wrench

If it's in good working order I would keep it. Yes you can lift it with the airbags, I believe you can get slightly larger airbags plus I think Terrafirma makes a 2" lift block that works with the bags. I was going to go back to air on my green one but I got a great deal on some shocks and springs that I had not anticipated.

Old 11-14-2020 | 01:06 PM
Pro Wrench

Note to self: When you press the dash button to raise or lower the rear SLS suspension, you need to hold it in for I believe 2 seconds. With all doors closed (will not work for example if you have the tail door open or the drivers door open). It will beep and the rear air (top right of instrument cluster) light blinks yellow as it goes up. Once it's all the way up, light remains steady yellow.

Mine takes about 13-14 seconds to fully raise. If it takes awhile (making this up but I'd say 30+ seconds) you may have a problem or a weak compressor/leak.

Then to lower the suspension, if you start driving and exceed a certain speed you'll hear beep-beep-beep and it lowers automatically. or you can again hold in the button and it'll deflate down, blinking until it's down, then the yellow warning lamp remains off.

Last edited by nashvegas; 11-14-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Daytoman (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020 | 01:11 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Note to self: When you press the dash button to raise or lower the rear SLS suspension, you need to hold it in for I believe 2 seconds. With all doors closed (will not work for example if you have the tail door open or the drivers door open). It will beep and the rear air (top right of instrument cluster) light blinks yellow as it goes up. Once it's all the way up, light remains steady yellow.

Mine takes about 13-14 seconds to fully raise. If it takes 30 seconds, you may have a problem.

Then to lower the suspension, if you start driving and exceed a certain speed you'll hear beep-beep-beep and it lowers automatically. or you can again hold in the button and it'll deflate down, blinking until it's down, then the yellow warning lamp remains off.
This is great, thank you!

Old 11-14-2020 | 06:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
Mine has SLS and I love it. Works great when towing a trailer or lading it up with people.
Yeah my 03 has it and it’s not really going to be an off-road rig. For what we use it for, the SLS is a cool feature and works great so far.
I like the ride it provides as well. It’s way more smooth than my 04 with a medium duty EMU lift. I thought about lifting the 03 for a minute and I found blocks at Lucky 8. I’m just keeping it stock.

Last edited by Daytoman; 11-14-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2020 | 09:49 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks for the responses. I just went to check out a 2000 Disco 2 with air .... and I ended up buying.
The test mentioned above was perfect.
Holy cow it rides really nice. Got a chance to off road a bit too, I'm sold ... literally!

whowa004 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020 | 07:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Congrats! Start with the PCV mod and the inline thermostat mod - that will take care of the oil leaks and the overheating due to thermostats.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Suspension - what do I need to know?