Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air Suspension - what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020 | 07:29 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
Congrats! Start with the PCV mod and the inline thermostat mod - that will take care of the oil leaks and the overheating due to thermostats.
This one has the inline themostat mod done!
I'll do the PCV one.

The bad news is I woke up this am and the *** end was real, real low.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020 | 08:32 PM
Pro Wrench

OK. Not to panic! Same thing happened to me multiple times. A chilly morning... happens.... they sag.

1) after starting the truck, does it pump back up in short order?
2) no warning lights?

If so -- I'd bet you just need new airbags in the rear. The rubber gets small cracks/becomes porous. My 2000 had the original Rover shocks on it until this summer (20 years).

I got Arnott on mine and it's been stable thru the night since. In fact just went to a cabin where I left the Rover for 5 days in sub frozen weather and it stayed perfectly level.

I would not get Genuine Land Rover, and I would not get Dunlop. I'd get Arnott.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lan...very-arn-a2202 (lifetime warranty, $150 a side)

Actually pretty easy to swap yourself.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020 | 10:18 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by nashvegas
OK. Not to panic! Same thing happened to me multiple times. A chilly morning... happens.... they sag.

1) after starting the truck, does it pump back up in short order?
2) no warning lights?

If so -- I'd bet you just need new airbags in the rear. The rubber gets small cracks/becomes porous. My 2000 had the original Rover shocks on it until this summer (20 years).

I got Arnott on mine and it's been stable thru the night since. In fact just went to a cabin where I left the Rover for 5 days in sub frozen weather and it stayed perfectly level.

I would not get Genuine Land Rover, and I would not get Dunlop. I'd get Arnott.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/lan...very-arn-a2202 (lifetime warranty, $150 a side)

Actually pretty easy to swap yourself.
The PO said the bags were done by the PO's PO. Only 10k or so miles?
It pumps back up no problem.
EDIT: no warning lights
Honestly I'm going to run it like this for a while and see how it goes.
(then get under there with soapy water in a spray bottle and see what's what.
Obviously don't want to burn out my pump.

I'm about to take it on a week long trip and do so desert off roading in it!
Fingers Crossed.

Last edited by swissarmychainsaw; 11-16-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2020 | 10:12 AM
Pro Wrench

Another trick. Try parking it overnight fully raised up -- ie in off-road height - if it sticks at that height and does not lower ...then probably there are micro cracks in the rubber where the spring flexes at normal height. BY raising, you are flexing a diff part of the rubber on the air spring that does not leak.

I repeated the above a few days in a row, note mine would only lower overnight at regular height (sitting all day it always stayed level, it needed a good 12 hours or so and cold (sub 40 degree F temps).

Old 11-16-2020 | 12:00 PM
Mudding

Anyone in this thread able to get some pics of the line routing out of the compressor box for me?

I'm about to add it back to my truck and got some new lines. I mainly want to know where the large canister mounts near the box.

Old 11-16-2020 | 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Hey @specops1526 - and sorry to thread-jack - but check out old BringATrailer listings (a few trucks have air suspension and people generally have good / decent underside pics). Like this one - is picture 147 what you're after? -- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...iscovery-ii-2/.

Old 11-16-2020 | 11:24 PM
Mudding

Hey @specops1526 - and sorry to thread-jack - but check out old BringATrailer listings (a few trucks have air suspension and people generally have good / decent underside pics). Like this one - is picture 147 what you're after? -- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...iscovery-ii-2/.
Ah, yes! Good call. Thanks! Just what I needed.

My old truck had SLS but I never really looked underneath the truck after I disconnected it and put in springs.

Old 11-19-2020 | 11:30 AM
|
Mudding

Another trick. Try parking it overnight fully raised up -- ie in off-road height - if it sticks at that height and does not lower ...then probably there are micro cracks in the rubber where the spring flexes at normal height. BY raising, you are flexing a diff part of the rubber on the air spring that does not leak.

I repeated the above a few days in a row, note mine would only lower overnight at regular height (sitting all day it always stayed level, it needed a good 12 hours or so and cold (sub 40 degree F temps).
I did this, left it overnight in the "Full Up" stance and it stayed there overnight! Good test! That makes me think it's not some other part of the system outside of the bags!

Old 11-19-2020 | 03:53 PM
Mudding

Just get some new Arnott bags and change them out. It's fairly easy. I got a great deal on a pair on eBay.

Old 11-19-2020 | 11:18 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by specops1526
Just get some new Arnott bags and change them out. It's fairly easy. I got a great deal on a pair on eBay.
I don't see any deals on Ebay. FCP Euro has the cheapest Artnotts AND a lifetime warranty?

Quick Reply: Rear Air Suspension - what do I need to know?