Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Air Suspernsion has gone flat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Air Suspernsion has gone flat.

Hey guys, been awhile since I been on. Hows everyone doing?

I am having problems with my 03' Disco HSE7's Rear Air Bag Suspension.
I live in Northern Minnesota, so right now the weather can take a toll on Vehicles. I was out of town for the weekend and didn't drive me vehicle pretty much the whole weekend until I took the 2 1/2hr drive home. I had no problems on this drive or the whole day, which was yesterday. This morning I wake up to take my dogs to the river for a walk and the sound of my compressor coming on to fill my airbags wasn't there. the vehicle was sitting, what looked like flat on the frame. It was the bumpiest ride I've taken and I live in the city!
So the airbags wont fill and the compressor wont come on. I was thinking maybe fuses, or that my compressor itself has just crapped out.

I have been planning on doing the Air-to-Coil switch, but was hoping I could wait a little longer. so If it is a fuse I can replace, great. But if my compressor is Sh*t. Might as well make the switch.

Let me know what you all think. Mind you I haven't looked at anything UNDER the Vehicle, but have READ most all posts relating to this subject and haven't found anything helpful.

Thanks much and Sorry for the lenght!

Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to Autozone/pep boys/Advanced ect... and get a ODBII scan, once you get the error codes post them here so the resident gurus can give you a better answer.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, it could be a number of things. Mine did the same number where it wouldn't turn on and inflate sometimes, but seemingly would after sitting for a while. In the end I swapped to coils after putting in new bags and still have fits.

There could be a leak, try spraying soapy water to detect once inflated and can be down in the fold.
The height sensors are rarely the cause from what I've read, just make sure they aren't broken.

If you DO want to try new bags, I believe I still have a set of "used for a week before converting" Arnott bags in my garage I'd send for cheap. PM me and I'll double that I have them still.

Also, I got a conversion set from Will Tillery for $125 I think with original used LR springs.

Good luck, start with the simple and go from there.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by thebloody
Take it to Autozone/pep boys/Advanced ect... and get a ODBII scan, once you get the error codes post them here so the resident gurus can give you a better answer.
An engine scanner can not read SLS codes.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator

I would suggest you send me your number and let me walk you thru what to check and do to find and correct this problem.
If you go to coils, your ride will change quite a bit and being you have an SE7 you will need H.D. springs to handle that load and then you will have to re-due the front to balance out the truck along with new shocks.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Overlanding

Yeah so I am not sure what to do. The compressor doesn't turn on. I have the money to do the conversion, I just dont know if Its the right thing to do, especially if I have to do both front and back. I dont have the equipment to do it myself. Kinda flowing up **** creek.....

Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Administrator

PM me your number and I'll be glad to go over your options.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 AM
Rock Crawling

I believe I have two like new Arnott air springs in my garage that might save you some coin. Let me know if you're interested and I'll confirm and send pics.

I would recommend testing a few solutions to fix the issue first, but I wouldn't put much money into the SLS system either...it's old and gets costly with each part.

FYI - mine is an SE7 and I didn't use HD springs. I can't tell much of a ride difference and after riding around on the bump stops from flat air springs the ride is quite luxurious! I actually put in USED LR springs (so crappy springs to start with and then used) and they hold up just fine in the SE7. So I'm sure if you put in a decent set of new springs the ride will be fine...all depends on what kind of ride you want and what kind of load you carry.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Overlanding

I don't know what happened but yesterday's warm weather got my airbags working again. The compressor is on and sounds fine. Everything seems fine. Any input?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DiscovermeNOW
I don't know what happened but yesterday's warm weather got my airbags working again. The compressor is on and sounds fine. Everything seems fine. Any input?
Yeah, plan on posting again tomorrow with flat bags and a compressor that won't turn on! lol

You could have 1 or multiple problems, but at this point you know that your compressor DOES work when it's told to. But why did the air springs deflate? Leaky bag/s? Or a sensor malfunctioning? Or some other electrical problem?

FYI - my system was doing the same routine, good 1 day, bad another, good 2 or 3 days straight, bad 2 days. I swapped in new Arnott air springs and it didn't fix the issue.

I would start by checking the basics that you can do yourself, otherwise you'll need a dealer (few Indy shops have the equip) to read your SLS codes and they will charge you $70-$?? just to read the codes, led alone fix the issue.

You will find a nice little diagram in the RAVE manual of the SLS system and all of its components.

OR, if you plan on keeping the truck for a while swap to coils for $150 and 4 hours in your driveway and never worry about a deflated Rover bumping its way home. I've never ran into someone looking to purchase a Rover that has SLS on it...in fact, most look for trucks without it!

Last edited by DiscoIIBrandon; 02-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Suspernsion has gone flat.