Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Leak - Hub Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Axle Leak - Hub Assembly?

So I have noticed the smell of 80/90w oil coming from my rear end and so I took the truck in and the right rear axle seal is leaking....

One shop says they can fix the axle seal, another shop says I need to replace the hub assembly...

Your thoughts...

Cheapest Hub Assembly new is like $450, anyone have a cheaper source?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'd do the o-ring first probably, unless the hub is loose or obviously leaking.

$302 at britishpacific for the rear assembly.

Land Rover parts, spares, Land Rover accessories - Search results for TAY100050

Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling

is there a part number for the o-ring seal? or is it order able via local parts stores? My local mechanic shop has a hard time ordering parts for my disco, soI usually take them the parts...

Never mind, I found them...

Last edited by TATZOO; 10-29-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TATZOO
is there a part number for the o-ring seal? or is it order able via local parts stores? My local mechanic shop has a hard time ordering parts for my disco, soI usually take them the parts...

Never mind, I found them...
Well, if anyone else is looking:

Land Rover parts, spares, Land Rover accessories - Search results for FTC4919

Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take off the rotor. If its leaking from the hub you will see it. Then you need a new hub and bearing.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
Take off the rotor. If its leaking from the hub you will see it. Then you need a new hub and bearing.
The truck needs new rear brakes and rotors due to mechanics negligence.... I took it in the get the rear end checked and diagnosed, instead the mechanic reported leaking valve cover gaskets....

5 Days later the brakes are metal to metal on the passenger rear, I was pissed. I called the shop only to find out the mechanic never removed the right rear wheel per my request to the service advisor and the mechanic himself to check out the leaking 80/90w I could smell.

So Im ordering new brake pads, rotors, and the axle O-ring seal today and taking it to a different shop to do the work!

I also noticed a felt type gasket, Im assuming its a gasket that goes between the hub assembly and the actual axle housing....do I need to order that too?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Be careful whos pads and rotors you order, there are a lot of cheap ones on the market that won't last long, make lots of dust and will throw 3 amigo fault codes.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TATZOO
The truck needs new rear brakes and rotors due to mechanics negligence.... I took it in the get the rear end checked and diagnosed, instead the mechanic reported leaking valve cover gaskets....

5 Days later the brakes are metal to metal on the passenger rear, I was pissed. I called the shop only to find out the mechanic never removed the right rear wheel per my request to the service advisor and the mechanic himself to check out the leaking 80/90w I could smell.

So Im ordering new brake pads, rotors, and the axle O-ring seal today and taking it to a different shop to do the work!

I also noticed a felt type gasket, Im assuming its a gasket that goes between the hub assembly and the actual axle housing....do I need to order that too?
There is not felt type gasket between the hub and axle.
As for Spike, I would worry too much about him call you the village idiot.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do no waste the money with the oring. it cost two dollars and you have to remove the axle when in fact when you remove the rotor you will see. Let the shop make the decision and see for yourself. I know these vehicles and its a waste of time to take out the axle without diagnosising it. Its simple. And where did you go that just diagnosed a valve cover leak?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Be careful whos pads and rotors you order, there are a lot of cheap ones on the market that won't last long, make lots of dust and will throw 3 amigo fault codes.
what pads and rotors do you suggest?...

I think one rotor can be turned and the metal on metal one can not...

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Leak - Hub Assembly?