Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Diff leak near/at pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear Diff leak near/at pinion seal

Man, what a marathon on this Rover over the last 2 months, can't catch a break. I replaced the rear driveshaft with the 4-bolt rear flange conversion and during the initial install I knackered the pinion seal and had a leak at the bottom of the seal that leaks as I drive. I ordered a rear shaft spacer (truck is lifted) and a new pinion seal and took very careful steps to do it right and not damaged seal. Well, lo and behold it's leaking from the same spot. I regret doing the conversion with everything in my soul and I will never recommend it to anyone, it has been nothing but a pain in the neck since day 1 and two months later I'm still feeling it.

Anyway I just want to solve the leak and the only thing I'm a bit iffy on is the tightening specs for the BOLT configuration of the rear flange conversion. The workshop manual says 90ft lbs I believe, the Atlantic British site says 90ft lbs but the insert that came with the kit said 74ft lbs. The workshop manual doesn't specify bolt vs nut torque settings and the bolt is at ~80ft lbs right now. Is this my fatal error?

Old 09-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Are you talking the 4 bolts that attach the U-joint to the flange? I'm still running the donut so no personal experience, but I can't imagine that a torque variance will cause a leak.

The following users liked this post:
TexasLandmark (09-02-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes sorry, the flange end on the diff side of rear prop shaft where the flange enters the diff. That pinion seal seams like even if it wasn't tight enough it should be more than capable of holding back gear oil.

I wish I was still rocking the rubber donut, never had problems with it, was just trying new things and tracking a small but annoying vibration. Now both shafts are rebuilt and greasable but after finishing the rear flange a couple weeks ago, it's been leaking gear oil.

I initially put the seal too far in and bent it trying to pull it out, bought a brand new one with 2 year warranty from BPUtah but it looks itself quite alright.