Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door (Hatch) actuator: Disco2

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear door (Hatch) actuator: Disco2

First....why does everyone insist on calling it a “hatch”; it isn’t...it’s the REAR door 🤔

anyway the power lock actuator went bad; just stopped working. It got a “little slow” to release a few days ago, and then BOOM no more.

I’ve purchased two others and neither of them work.... so I am wondering “actuator, or power issue?” How can I tell?

when I plug the actuators in and hit the switch I hear and feel a “click” or “bump” inside the actuators as though something is trying to engage...but nothing actually happens.

are there any issues with “low power” to the device not functioning? Or is there something special I must do once I have replaced an actuator to make it function? Or have I just been sent two non-functioning actuators?

thanks

Doc

Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I’ve always called it the rear cargo door. Does the external handle move freely? I’ve seen them so froze up they prevent the lock from actually locking/unlocking.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83
First....why does everyone insist on calling it a “hatch”; it isn’t...it’s the REAR door 🤔

anyway the power lock actuator went bad; just stopped working. It got a “little slow” to release a few days ago, and then BOOM no more.

I’ve purchased two others and neither of them work.... so I am wondering “actuator, or power issue?” How can I tell?

when I plug the actuators in and hit the switch I hear and feel a “click” or “bump” inside the actuators as though something is trying to engage...but nothing actually happens.

are there any issues with “low power” to the device not functioning? Or is there something special I must do once I have replaced an actuator to make it function? Or have I just been sent two non-functioning actuators?

thanks

Doc
I would visually check it while its not installed. There should be a green plastic connected to the linkage that moves once you lock and unlock. Its movement confirms it works. I guess the rear doors are the left and right back door, Im not sure unless you try locating the parts to identify location. Cheers

Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 PM
Mudding

As I said the original stopped working; I know which arm is supposed to rise and fall; it does not. As I said I can feel the motor try to engage inside the housing when you apply power to it...but it does not move.

I have had the actuator out of the Disco and I have applied power to the other actuators as well, with the same results.

can you pull a panel from another door and hook the actuator to its power source to determine if it works? Eliminating the idea that it might be the actual power circuit?

Doc

Old 10-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Mudding

When you replace a door lock actuator...do you have to “sync” it?

thanks

Doc

Old 10-24-2018, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Not that I am aware of

Old 10-24-2018, 05:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Not that I am aware of
I didn’t think so....but. I have had 2 sent to me from salvage yards, perported to be fully functional, and neither of them have worked. The manual release works, but the automated actuator doesn’t. I just had a parts guy I was thinking of buying a 3rd one from say it had to be synced....

but I can’t find anything anywhere that provides evidence of that.

Doc

Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 PM
TReK
Received 766 Likes on 634 Posts

I replaced mine earlier this year. Didn't have to do anything other than remove the old and install the new.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check the rod connectors in mechanism

there are 3 connectors in rear lock actuator and mechanism. Two are green in color, one is white in color (connects to tab sticking up from actuator). Make sure the pull button rod is connected thru the white portion of the connector and the “swivel latch” is connected to the rod. If the white connector is not attached, actuator will not unlock. Just worked on this today while changing gasket surrounding the outside rear door latch cover.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconDoc83

I didn’t think so....but. I have had 2 sent to me from salvage yards, perported to be fully functional, and neither of them have worked. The manual release works, but the automated actuator doesn’t. I just had a parts guy I was thinking of buying a 3rd one from say it had to be synced....

but I can’t find anything anywhere that provides evidence of that.

Doc
I would take the actuator apart and apply power directly to the motor. All of the actuators in my D2 had died, I could hear something try to move but nothing did. I replaced the lock motor in all 5 doors. I have more motors for sale in the classifieds section.

Quick Reply: Rear door (Hatch) actuator: Disco2