Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear door lock issue...and let's talk about hinge lube

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear door lock issue...and let's talk about hinge lube

My rear door will not unlock from the key fob or the dash button. I can only unlock it by pulling the interior latch open. I've lubed the rear door latch (including behind the LR logo), and I can confirm that the child lock is set to Unlock. What are my options?

Also, the rear door hinges are very stiff. I've lubed them but it's still very difficult to get the door open and closed. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbdiscovery
My rear door will not unlock from the key fob or the dash button. I can only unlock it by pulling the interior latch open. I've lubed the rear door latch (including behind the LR logo), and I can confirm that the child lock is set to Unlock. What are my options?

Also, the rear door hinges are very stiff. I've lubed them but it's still very difficult to get the door open and closed. Any ideas?

Thank you.
I have had the same problem on mine.I believe the actuators are to blame here. You'll have to pull of the paneling and hook a multimeter up to the actuators and see if they're being powered. I recently went to a Pick and pull junkyard and managed to find some. Otherwise it'll be a few hundred bucks.

The following users liked this post:
tbdiscovery (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
I have had the same problem on mine.I believe the actuators are to blame here. You'll have to pull of the paneling and hook a multimeter up to the actuators and see if they're being powered. I recently went to a Pick and pull junkyard and managed to find some. Otherwise it'll be a few hundred bucks.
I pulled mine off tonight. Tried to open it up to see the motor to swap out. Decided not worth smashing it up. Ebay sells them for $65 shipped. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Dis...868?nav=SEARCH

Try a little grease on the bottom slider of the door, not just the hinges

Last edited by jamieb; 01-30-2016 at 08:05 PM.
tbdiscovery (01-31-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:08 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My cargo door was really hard to swing open as well when I bought it. There is a check link that slides on the bottom of the door. After some lube and working it back and forth it is nice and smooth now.

tbdiscovery (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 03:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers door has started not working - sounds like a similar issue. Door locks with remote key, but unlocking using remote unlocks all door except the drivers door. Insert key and turn, unlocks. Taken lock out and checked that the signal is getting to the actuator which I think it is (i here and feel it trying to do something when I use the remote to unlock) but it doesn't unlock, so assume something inside I can't get to has failed. New lock needed.

Does the Range Rover P38 use the same locks that I can put in instead? I'm hoping that they do as there is one being salvaged/sold for parts and it might work.......

Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Was this happening before you did the Camera ???
if no than it’s probably something you did
look over your work and how you wired