Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Door Panel Mods

Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear Door Panel Mods

Well, finished of my rear door panel this weekend. Took a lot longer than expected by the time you mess around with all the "little bits" and bobs. Lots of bits to make etc......but Im pretty happy how its turned out. Me and a friend did the same design on his car a while back, and after seeing how useful it was when out on the trails, especially for making a cuppa!!! with the coleman dual fuel stove..... I just had to knock up another one to

Heres a few piccys!! Its made of Aircraft spec ali (got from work shhh!!), and fitted to the door with stainless bolts into about 20 rivnuts I added all the way round so it can be removed easily, and the original panel will re-install no problem.

used little cables for the "stays" for the fold down shelf, held by pins that have locking clips so they can be removed if need be.

3 pieces of cargo rail to allow the strap / tie downs to be connected / disconnected easily. Made 2 small turn buckles from ali to hold the shelf when folded up

Also mounted my fire extinguisher bracket above the rear speaker pod

All bits back on

Door with the camping stove strapped on......

unclip the strap remove the stove, fold the shelf down..

Open up the stove and put the kettle on!!!

And finally changed for a blue strap to match the car LOL

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 08-30-2009 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Poffet (09-03-2018)
Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! that looks spectacular. If I had the tools necessary I'd make one myself, but that's a mod that's probably gonna have to wait. I need a lift and tires first

Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want one!! Nice work!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool. Wish I had thought of something like that.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!! that is very similar to what I am trying to do now. its aluminum? what did you use to cut the shape and how did you make a template? i have the vinyl piece off and was going to use that to make a template on some paper. and use the paper layed over a sheet of metal to get the pattern i need. would love 2 hear more specifics. love the pics! quite jealous.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very very Nice, are the fire extinguishers green where you live? Here (USA) they are red. Which really isn't relevant as long as it does what it says its suppose to, just curious.

Robert

Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Night Train
Very very Nice, are the fire extinguishers green where you live? Here (USA) they are red. Which really isn't relevant as long as it does what it says its suppose to, just curious.

Robert
Funny you should, say that about the fire extinguishers.

In the UK, they "used" to be different colours for diff types so they were EASILY recognisable........and would most likely be used on the correct type of fire.

this "was" the colours.

Black = CO2
Red = water
blue = dry powder
cream = foam
green = halon

Now because we are dumb enough to be controlled by a bunch of idiots in brussels (euro union) and all countries must have the same ****e.

So guess what, now they are all RED FFS!!!.........whos fookin dumb idea is that......now its just asking for someone to make a mistake and try put out an electrical fire with a water extinguisher ......

PS, on a side note, Halon (green) was banned (cough) for general use by the public as it destroys the ozone layer, how ever, if any of you have ever had a good fire training session with extinguishers will agree im sure that the Halon kicks *** compared to ALL the others, Hence its still allowed / Used in Aircraft.....(see the connection here) and no it wasn't stolen....

Old 08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Halon is most effective for fires involving jet fuel because of how what it burns which is why it is still used around aircraft. CO2 works with the same principle as halon by removing oxygen and smothering a fire but not nearly as effective in a really hot fire like fuel.

I have to agree that the different extinguishers should be different colors. Thinking people are going to read a label and make sure the extinguisher is right for the ire they're facing is absurd.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I may have to bite the bullet and be a good boy and send it for disposal and get a newer one....... it was just in the garage since I aquired it and had to be bolted on lol.....

Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

And I always thought that you fed a fire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Door Panel Mods