Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Prop Shaft & Differential Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default hey

where in south florida are you? I am also in South Florida.. Let me know and i will see if i can help..

I also have a extra 2004 transfercase in my garage that works fine just needs a bearing changed as it was noisy.. It would be a easy fix...

Chris

Last edited by vandev; 05-26-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg409
The center diff in the transfer case is an "open" diff with the ability to manually lock via linkage.

If it's in "unlock" and the truck drives in fwd mode, that means the rear output is broken/locked up.

If you have BOTH rear wheels off the ground and turn the pinion shaft, both wheels will turn the same direction, as you are only turning the ring gear/ carrier set.

My bet is the transfer case is biffed.

luck,greg
Thanks Greg,

It's looking more and more like the transfer case. I may be able to buy a used one locally for $300 or so. Before I do that, I want it to make sure of any workaround this issue (CDL cable adjust, etc.)

How difficult is it to replace transfer case?

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Down in South Miami. You want to PM me so we can exchange numbers?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default pm'ed you

pm'ed you. I am in pembroke pines and work in miami most days..Give me a call.

Later Chris

Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by disco524
Lordmorpheus,

Just turned the pinion again and to my amazement noticed both rear wheels are turning in same direction (reverse or forward) instead of opposite of one another.

So here's what we got:
1. Vehicle drives OK using front wheel drive only.
2. Rear prop shaft is connected to transfer case and not to differential. It will not manually spin.
3. Manually spun pinion will turn both rear wheels in same direction
4. Jacked up all wheels, turned engine, put on drive and front wheels spin, but rear prop shaft does not spin.
5. Tried engaging and disengaging all combos of CDL/Tranny and prop shaft did not spin. With CDL engaged, front wheels did not spin though. CDL does make "engaged noise" when selected.
4. I'm hoping for a quick adjustment, but preparing for the worst.

Conclusion: So it appears that although I have a free spinning differential, once I connect rear prop shaft, shaft will not let diff spin.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
While jacked up, I switched CDL ON, gas it a little and rear prop shaft does spin. With CDL OFF, it will not.

Could this be a matter of CDL cable adjustment or solenoid switch?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Hello Everyone,

I've gotten much useful advice & solutions from this forum. This is my first post. I'm hoping I'll be able to lend expertise down the line as I'm learning more about what makes Disco's tick on a daily basis. I've overhauled two DII engines already.

I just purchased a 2004 Disco II (bank repo pulled from repair shop) and heard a loud thumping noise coming from rear after I drove over a bump. I jacked-up truck and noticed rear prop shaft was disconnected from rotoflex and tied to the chassis with rope. It appears to be a new prop shaft that repair shop may have been in the process of installing when tow truck showed up. It is connected to transfer box. Anyway, I went ahead and connected to rear differential rotoflex and Disco will not drive front or backwards. It feels like front drive is trying to move, but rear drive won't let it. I don't want to force it and make it worse.

I went ahead and disconnected again and I'm able to drive Disco on front wheel drive only. No Manual or Sport lights blinking. No fault codes on Hawkeye.

Anyone ever experienced this or have any suggestions on cause & solution?

Thanks!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Emergency brake shoes were way too tight with handbrake released. Adjusted and truck is back on the road.

I'm sure that the most honest tranny repair shop would have eventually concluded that and would have called me and said:

"I've got good news for you, transfer case is good it only needs to be rebuilt for $450.00"

Thanks everybody for your most valuable input and newly established friendships. I hope someone with this same problem will find the same easy resolve before spending big bucks.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Awesome!!! When I read your last post last night before I went to bed, I was completely confused. Yesterday morning, I had ruled out a differential problem, and suspected transfer case, but then I read it spun when in CDL with throttle applied. I was seriously stumped, because that caused me to think NOT transfer case...driveshaft U-joint binding? NO, originally he said it looked new....

Awesome news!!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Emergency brake shoes were way too tight with handbrake released. Adjusted and truck is back on the road.

I'm sure that the most honest tranny repair shop would have eventually concluded that and would have called me and said:

"I've got good news for you, transfer case is good it only needs to be rebuilt for $450.00"

Thanks everybody for your most valuable input and newly established friendships. I hope someone with this same problem will find the same easy resolve before spending big bucks.
That's a riot!! I came on today to tell you to check the e-brake, I thought of it this a.m.

congrats

luck,greg

Old 05-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the only vehicle I know of where the E-Brake locks the driveline instead of the wheels via the brakes.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy crap, what a sham!

i'd yell at someone for being dishonest.

and i'd punch myself for not doing a better inspection.