Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Running Light Troubleshooting Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear Running Light Troubleshooting Help

Hi all,

I am a strong mechanical thinker and feel that I can tackle just about anything on my Rover that I need to... but I know almost nothing about vehicle electronics. I need some help troubleshooting my light situation.

Issue: Rear running lights stopped working entirely, I'm not certain how long ago. Noticed it last week. No change in other light configurations will make the rears come on. Both turn signals work front and rear, both headlights work, both front running lights work, brake lights work, and what I guess are the rear 'fogs' work with the dash button. One fog light is out up front.

Weird stuff: Previously, running lights and dash lights would only turn on with headlights when I carefully rotated the light control on the turn signal stalk backwards to its 'happy spot'. Otherwise I would get running lights and dash lights with no headlights, or headlights with no dash or running lights. NOW what is happening is if I position the stalk to have headlights and dash lights on, the rear running lights don't work AND my brake lights stop working. I have brake lights without headlights on and with headlights 'all the way on'.

I have checked fuses and that's about it so far. I am planning on removing and disassembling the headlight / turn signal stalk soon to see if it can be refurbished. Any links to photos of the refurbishment process would be terrific. The upside to all of this is that I finally got my right turn signal working again. Turns out it was just the relay.

Thanks for the help! I am hoping to start to understand how these electrical systems work. I can wire a house but still fail to understand basic grounding and other vehicle electricals.