Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear seat backs not locking

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010 | 02:25 PM
|
Drifting
Default Rear seat backs not locking

I've read a couple threads about rear (2nd row, not 3rd) seats not locking, but none of them seem to mirror my issue. My seats do lock into the floor, but the seat backs do not lock. Both of them. The red is showing on the lever (picture one), indicating the seat will not lock. I have pulled apart the back of the seat to the extent that I'm not entirely sure I'm going to put it back together 100% (picture two). The only thing I can think of is the little assembly in picture three that shows what could be the locking mechanism. The cable going from the lever is intact and does wiggle something, but in picture three, I don't see how it locks anything. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails Rear seat backs not locking-seat_one.jpg   Rear seat backs not locking-seat_two.jpg   Rear seat backs not locking-seat_three.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010 | 10:16 PM
|
Drifting

anyone?

Old 03-23-2010 | 05:09 AM

this is a good post. i'm having the same exact problem but have not had time to pull it apart. i will dig into mine and the RAVE manual and see if i can figure it out.

Old 03-25-2010 | 11:34 AM
Overlanding

Mine started the exact same thing last weekend. It was right after I removed a child seat I had secured for the first time by wrapping the strap meant for LATCH anchors around the base of the back of the seat, then running the tether strap over the top to the luggage anchor. I don't know if that's related as I've only had the truck for two months, but the timing seems more than coincidental. I'd really appreciate an update on this if either of you get it figured out. I haven't gotten this far trying to take the seat appart as both my boys prefer to sit in the third row, and I've just put the seat belt across that seat so it doesn't come down when I stop.

Old 03-25-2010 | 10:09 PM
|
Drifting

The thing is I would have to tear the seat apart completely to understand the locking mechanism. So, without completely understanding how it works, I can't see a solution.

I have a little one on the way too, so I'm keen to get this fixed. Otherwise, perhaps I can use it as an excuse for a new Audi A5. But I suspect she'll just tell me to get it fixed at a shop. No fun in that

Old 03-26-2010 | 10:52 AM
Old 03-26-2010 | 01:23 PM
|
Drifting

Is this from the RAVE CD that I left in storage on the other coast?

I think I can make that all out, but the release cable attaches to a gear (step 4 M78-0681) that connects to a rod that runs across the bottom of the seat to an assembly on the other side of the seat. That other assembly does the actual locking, I think. That I want to see more of. Is there anything in the book about that portion?

Last edited by sinebubble; 03-26-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2010 | 02:27 PM

you can redownload it at www.landroverresource.com

Old 03-26-2010 | 10:24 PM
|
Drifting

Strange, but it doesn't go into any detail on the portion I'm most curious about. The squab runs down the back/side of the seat and rotates an assembly that is attached to a rod that spans the back of the seat into another assembly. It's *that* portion that I think is not locking the seat into place. But there is no detail in the RAVE manual about that assembly.

Old 01-04-2011 | 08:25 AM
Overlanding

Has anyone managed to fix this? My child is now old enough that he doesn't need a five point seat so the tether that used to hold the seat in place is no longer needed. I need to get this fixed, but as pointed out by sinebubble, there's no guidance on how this actually works and how to fix it when it doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Rear seat backs not locking