Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear subwoofers are toast on my 2003 SE7; recommended replacement??.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:34 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear subwoofers are toast on my 2003 SE7; recommended replacement??.

I 'm looking for replacement rear door mountd subwoofers for my 2003 D2 SE7. It has the stock radio unit,....whatever that is. I'm hoping to find something reasonably priced that will will match the output of the existing system.

Any suggestions?

Brian in Austin

Old 12-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I just ordered 2 pyramid WX65X subs from amazon. They should be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the installed by the weekend.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...fer-mod-38070/

The pyramid WX65X are a close fit. You need to tweak the opening a little bit. There are some threads on another LR forum about them. Here is some additional info:

As expected, the Pyramid WX65X subwoofers fitted the enclosure perfectly, so mounting them in the black plastic Land Rover frame was a complete doddle. Even the screw holes lined up perfectly.

Unfortunately, the magnet structures on the Pyramids are a little wider in diameter, and although they fit through the cutout in the tail door, I could not get the frame to align with the screw holes due to interference with the sheet metal. This required me to modify the cutout slightly, relieving it in a couple of places to gain the necessary clearance.

That's a euphemistic way of saying that I had to take a hammer and roll the edges of the cutout in a bit in two places to allow the frame to align with the screw holes. I'm not proud of taking a beater to my tail door, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to get the job done. In any case, the modification to the door and the trim panel are totally hidden by the speaker enclosure and the installation looks 100% stock.

Last edited by acamato; 12-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a pair of factory subs in great condition for sale if you aren't interested in changing out your amp.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some at a audio store, they didn't fit very well had to mod the opening some. Go with original equipment they will sound better. I found some online that were for a different model but looked like exactly the same thing. I didn't get them I had already got the others. The ones I got were good but I think the OEM ones sounds better.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I have a pair of factory subs in great condition for sale if you aren't interested in changing out your amp.
If you are replacing just the speakers, you shouldn't have to change the amp.

Last edited by acamato; 12-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone tried replacing the Phillips rear door sub's with the Harmon Kardon units? Are they a plug and plat?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I got the replacement subs in yesterday. They bolted right into the HK enclosure. The Pyramid WX65X speakers are not as deep as the HK, however the magnet is larger in diameter. If I have time tonight, I will try to install the assembly back on the door.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey acamato...

did you have to change out your amp? Looks like the Pyramid pull a lot of wattage and could overtax your amp. Let me know how it sounds and if you changed anything out to accommodate your new speakers.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The speakers don't pull wattage. They are rated for the power (watts) they can handle. I have no intentions in changing my amp. There is no need to.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to thread jack but mine are Phillips in my 04 and you can't hear them and you can barely feel them move when turned up.

Am I looking at blown subs or blown amp?

Quick Reply: Rear subwoofers are toast on my 2003 SE7; recommended replacement??.