Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear swaybar removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear swaybar removal

Who's removed it from their truck, and what are your feelings on the ride characteristics afterwards? I have about 100 lbs of gear (Tuffy box and equipment) in my cargo area running on RR1-2 (linear) RTE 2" springs and OME shocks.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rear swaybar removal

I removed mine from my Jeep wrangler. I did not notice any difference on the highway.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You will notice a difference, maybe not the one you wanted.
You should disconnect the front also or you will be out of balance.
If you just have to do this, install front and rear disconnects so you run loose and sloppy off road but still have some stability when on the road.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Who makes rear disconnects, I haven't really seen anyone make them? I'm planning to get Slickrock front disconnects.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM
TReK

no front swaybar = sloppy on the highway. I dunno about LR's but other vehicles are fine with rear out and front in..no balance prob.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have seen the rear disconnects but I cannot find them now. I assume that your tried AB, RoversNorth, etc.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Drifting

UK and Aussie boards seem to have a lot of threads on the subject and more than a few people say they remove one or both. After crushing a couple of the mounts on my sway bars, I removed both from my 95 D1. This link http://www.landroverexchange.com/for...ages/9959.html , and other postings indicated that before 04 disco's didn't have sway bars; so I figure LR engineers thought is was ok (not that technology shouldn't move forward, but my choice was to spend $$ or not). WCB maintains that swaybars should not be removed saying disconnects are the answer http://www.offroadexperience.com/wcb/emu2.htm. If you want to spend the $$ on disconnects you satisfy both sides of the issue. With my swaybars off the ride seems a bit softer on road on and off with my set up (OME HD lift and 265/80/16 super swammpers). Not sure whether the added articulation will snap the brake lines, but I'll learn the hard way as usual. Look forward to learning more about it from experts on this forum.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
TReK

That is a good point about over extending brake lines. I've only had vehicles with upper/lower control arms and it wasn't a problem, but with radius arms articulation it very well might be.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

This is true. When I was installing the RTE springs I disconnected the rear and had to remove the calipers becasue of the axle articulation against the lines. Might be a good excuse to go ahead and get the stainless extended lines at the same time.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

I removed the rear sway bar and do not notice a difference in the handling. The rear articulation is noticeable. I would only recommend disconnecting the front sway bar when you are off road. JKS-2001 sway bar disconnects can be made to fit the Disco II. www.discoweb.org has instructions on the install. It takes about 5-10 minutes to remove the rear bar. Maybe more if it is really rusted.

Cheers,

Pete

Quick Reply: Rear swaybar removal