Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tailgate latch release is stuck in the compressed position and not opening

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rear tailgate latch release is stuck in the compressed position and not opening

Just picked up a 99 D2 in surprisingly nice condition. That said, I cant get the rear tailgate open.
The outside latch release above the license plate is already in the compressed position and the door wont open. I pulled on the inside handle and something clicked,....but the tailgate still wont open.

Any Ideas on how I could proceed on getting this open?

Brian in Austin

Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray up under it at the handle mechanism with a bit of pb blaster and work it back and forth as much as you can and it will eventually lose up and decompress again. Wd-40 will work too but 2 days later it'll be stuck again. There's something about pb blaster that just works better

Old 04-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Just picked up a 99 D2 in surprisingly nice condition. That said, I cant get the rear tailgate open.
The outside latch release above the license plate is already in the compressed position and the door wont open. I pulled on the inside handle and something clicked,....but the tailgate still wont open.

Any Ideas on how I could proceed on getting this open?

Brian in Austin
Happens often to people. I've always gone inside, lifted up the rear door card and popped the door from there, then hit it with PB blaster.
Others say you can prise off the Land Rover badge on the back there, and loosen it that way. That's what I intend to try next time it sticks.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

this will happen to everyone eventually. I pried off the Land Rover badge on the back and sprayed it clean. Afterwards I used some dry spray lithium grease and reattached the LR badge.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

All of the above plus bend the straw and fit it through the side. If its stuck all the way up, get s stubby flat head driver to pry it downwards between the metal and the plastic cover. Squeeze that latch up and down until loose. Youll be good until it get stuck again.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by cappedup
Happens often to people. I've always gone inside, lifted up the rear door card and popped the door from there, then hit it with PB blaster.
Others say you can prise off the Land Rover badge on the back there, and loosen it that way. That's what I intend to try next time it sticks.
How do you Lift the Door Card? I looked at it for a minute or two to see if I might be able to do that, but didn't see a point of entry.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:15 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
The following users liked this post:
bcolins (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

How do you Lift the Door Card? I looked at it for a minute or two to see if I might be able to do that, but didn't see a point of entry.
From the inside, I can lift the bottom of the door card. I don't need to pull it all the way off. And it's only held on by a couple of clips now they all broke.

But don't really like doing it, feels extreme. Definitely trying the badge trick next time.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Most excellent Sir..

Old 04-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Most excellent Sir..
So much help here its the least I can do.

Quick Reply: Rear tailgate latch release is stuck in the compressed position and not opening