Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear view mirror '96 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear view mirror '96 Disco

Earlier this summer, on a rather hot day, when I got back to my '96 Disco after work, I found a black liquid that looked something like ink splattered all over the interior the truck. After investigating, I discovered that this black liquid had been discharged from the windshield mounted rear view mirror. It kept dripping for another few hours and eventually stopped. Unfortunately it permenantly stained a good deal of my interior, but I'm not concerned about that.

The end result is that the rear view mirror now is permanently clouded, so that it can't be cleaned from the outside--the clouding seems to be from the inside of the mirror. I asked the dealer (mistake, I know) and he said that it will eventually go completely dark and that the only thing I could to was to get it replaced for about $400. He also said it was a very common problem with the Discos. I don't like the sound of that, has anyone got a more 'cost-effective' remedy??

[IMG]local://upfiles/332/6541146C06E947EAB85DD690FDFBE1DB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: rear view mirror '96 Disco

dealers are the last place to go for repairs if you can avoid. He did tell you the truth about the rearview mirror. I am making a presumption. You have the auto dimming rear view. Same story with mine however it did not go black. I have seen any others that have gone black. mine is still serviceable, it does not dim auto anymore. The 400.00 is a deal buster. you have several options. the least of which is the dealer. They can be had on line for about 100.00 and come with installation instructions. Even JC Whitney carries the mirror. factory replacement can be ordered from roversnorth.com. There is a list of part suppliers on the faq section. the other way is to do a scearch. Ebay is also a good place to look. Rover parts are not cheap at best. having the dealer do the work is out rageous. If you have the ability and desire, get the disco shop manual. ebay. The is also a cd verision on ebay. cost about 7.00. I have the book and it has paid for itself many times over. The big key to a rover, is to know yours, and do the maintenance. I have a 96 disco with 130k on it. I have had it since 96. I have spent about 5,000.00 over ten years to keep it right. that includes tires and brakes. no major problems. There are some common problems with rovers. You can go to faq and find out, or e-mail me and I can give you a good list of things that are relatively easy fixes. Hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff