Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear wiper

Coply/paste from other forum

Currently I'm replacing my rear sub speakers and spare tire carrier. Before putting the fith door panel back on I decided to check the rear wiper. And wouln't you now it, it's not working. The rear wiper on my project 98 did work before, at least I think I remember turning it on at some point. The rear wiper does not work, but the washer does.

So I broke out the test light and started probing. Here are some of my priliminary findings
[ul][*]I have 12v switch igition on the green wire at the wiper switch harness.[*]Push in the wiper swich and I get 12v at the orange/blue wire of the wiper switch harness[*]This tells me my wiper switch is working. 12v comes in, 12v goes out.[*]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...jpg?152214-328[*]With the wiper switch in the on position and the drivers closed, I then go to the rear wiper motor harness/plug.[*]With the harness still pluged into the motor, I have 12v switch igniton on the green/orange wire at the rear wiper harness. The middle terminal of the harness[*]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...jpg?152214-328[*]The bown/yellow wire has 0v, but if I jump 12v to that wire the motor will turn. That's the wire that connects straight to the motor plug. [*]http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...jpg?152214-328[*]Once I remove the jumper wire, the motor will continue to turn until it gets to the park position, then it stop.[*]With the wiper switch still on and the drivers door closd, the brown/green at the wiper harness has 0v.[*]All my fuses have been checked, even #10 and #13 fuse.[*]Is there a rear wiper relay, if so where?[/ul]
My gut feeling is telling me my motor is bad, but with this wiper ECU and MFU, I'm not sure it's the motor. This is where you guys come in. Help me shed some light on this situation

Old 11-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Rear wiper

Are ALL of your doors closed? ALL doors must be closed for the rear wiper to work, I dont know why, but thats just the way it is.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Rock Crawling

At this point I honeslty do not remember if all doors were closed. Driver's door for sure was closed.I also readsomeonementioned that the engine also needs to be running.I will closed all doors (even the rear tailgate) and start the engine to see what happens.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:19 AM
Team Owner

I dont think the engine has to be running, just turn the ignition key all the way to the "run" position.
I dont know about my rear wiper, but my fronts will still work with the key in the "acc" position. So like when I listen to the radio I can still wipe the windshield.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Rock Crawling

I just finish checking with all the doors closed (even the rear tail gate) and still nothing. I agree with you with the engine running theory. Out of ****s and giggles I checked it with engine running also, still nothing. If it helps, the front wiper and washer works, the rear washer works, just no rear wiper.

I'm at the point where my arms are tied and I will have to buy a different motor.Just hate to replace a perfectly good unit and it being something else. No one on either board have been able to give me a definativecause. Thanks for your assistance and take it easy on the mash potato and gravy

Old 11-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

How did you know I was going to have mashed potatoes and gravy?

Sounds like you need to buy a used wiper motor.