Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild stock front driveshaft or buy aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

That might work, and I don't remember trying that, though I might have. But I have to say that on mine, I'd be surprised if it didn't break the screwdrivers, because they could only be partially inserted.

I still needed the dremel to then cut the ball's sleeve in half to get it out.

This is after the torch and slide hammer failed.

The aftermarket shaft I did was easy compared to stock. Everything came right out.

Like I said, I'd buy one rather than rebuild the stocker.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
These shafts are a pain to rebuild, and I've rebuilt several driveshafts. I have rebuilt the stock shaft and an aftermarket one, and the stocker was much more challenging.

On the stock shaft, the centering ball is very difficult to extract and often requires creative solutions. The centering ball is very important to replace - in many cases it is what makes the u-joints fail.

All the parts are available under the original part numbers; in the last year I bought mine off ebay, and got some from my local shop (I think it was Advance, but really don't remember).

As I recall, it was ~$30 for the centering ball, then about $30 for the u-joints. You will also need to buy a slide hammer and, if you are like me, a dremel and cutoff wheel to cut the centering ball and sleeve in half for extraction. So I'd guess another $60 for those. Meanwhile, you can get a new shaft for $240 shipped. So is a few hours of your time worth $120 to you?

I probly would buy a new one if I had to do it again.
As you say Dr Mordo, it challenging rebuilding the stock shafts. The rear shaft with the rubber doughnut and single UJ is a 'doddle', but the front shaft cardan is a real SOB.

It is very satisfying having achieved a the stock shaft rebuilds (luckily I had the Dremel and slide hammer already and made up a special centering bearing puller) but then after spray painting them and standing back admiring them one didn't notice the pain and blood dripping out of the grazed knuckles and the scars and grazes on the forehead from banging it against the wall in the garage out of frustration, but, it's all taken in ones stride when owning Landrovers, errr, help needed, does anyone know a good neurosurgeon for cranium trauma's.

Front shaft rebuild kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...item3f2fd18b12

Rear shaft rebuild kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...item3f215c9d8d

Plus: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER...item565ded1dbf

This lot is not cheap by any means but is the original OEM GKN kit but heavy duty UJ's instead. I don't know what you'd get for €50 bucks but if it's original OEM quality kit I'd certainly go for it.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 01-30-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a saftey loop? Has anyone ever installed a couple safety loops in case of a failure so it doesnt destroy everything in sight?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

U-joints= 11.99 servicable at auto part store. Driveline shop can buy for 8-9 bucks...

If there is nothing wrong with the Cardan Joint, why replace?

My local driveshaft shop replaced the upper two u-joints next to the cardan joint for 40.00, the lower u-joint was already servicable, and nothing wrong with it.

I could understand if you were running 450 hp and 40" tires, you may want to run a 25.00 u-joint...and a driveline loop

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
U-joints= 11.99 servicable at auto part store. Driveline shop can buy for 8-9 bucks...

If there is nothing wrong with the Cardan Joint, why replace?

My local driveshaft shop replaced the upper two u-joints next to the cardan joint for 40.00, the lower u-joint was already servicable, and nothing wrong with it.

I could understand if you were running 450 hp and 40" tires, you may want to run a 25.00 u-joint...and a driveline loop
Because the centering ball is generally what fails, not the u-joints.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999rover
How about a saftey loop? Has anyone ever installed a couple safety loops in case of a failure so it doesn't destroy everything in sight?
I've never seen those before, but what a great idea for the DII. No, there's not a LOT of power involved, but failure is a common talking point on these. That would prevent the Transmission Puncture if failure occurred. Cheap insurance. I've even heard on this forum of new drivelines failing too soon.

Granted, there's not 450HP, but that's not the issue. The issue is when it breaks, you've got 4 tires on the ground and a 2 ton brick going 65MPH trying to turn that driveline still. That's probably at least 450HP worth of pressure.

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-31-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think im going to make one if i cant find one. Im not going to chance it coming apart and taking out my trans. Ill build a heat shield too to keep the exhaust heat away.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999rover
I think im going to make one if i cant find one. Im not going to chance it coming apart and taking out my trans. Ill build a heat shield too to keep the exhaust heat away.
Design a good, cheap, easy to install version of both of those, and I bet you have a niche market for them.

Maybe incorporate both into ONE device?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
That might work, and I don't remember trying that, though I might have. But I have to say that on mine, I'd be surprised if it didn't break the screwdrivers, because they could only be partially inserted.
It is actually pretty easy to pry out. Much easier than the many failed slide-hammer attempts would lead one to believe

I still needed the dremel to then cut the ball's sleeve in half to get it out.
I think I used the slide-hammer for the sleeve.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

A sheet of 5/16" aluminium 5 bar treadplate would stop the shaft destroying the transmision. The option is maybe to make it in a large tube fixed to the chassis on flexi mounts so the free (cardan end) if it breaks rolls around inside the alu tube rather than bouncing off the road and generally thrashing about. At worst it would then only destroy the alu tube and not the transmission....................I'll work on it, not that it's ever caused me any problems with the cardan in 120K miles and even then it was only rebuilt as a precautionary measure due to some vibes. However, the TD5 doesn't have the same power or grunt of the V8.

Quick Reply: Rebuild stock front driveshaft or buy aftermarket?