Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Oil change and now my truck is making ticking noise!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Recent Oil change and now my truck is making ticking noise!!!!!

Hello I drive a 2000 Land Rover Disco II and I recently had an oil change done by a professional company....( who I thought was a professional), had this done on my lunch break, drove the truck back to work fine get halfway home from work not even 15 miles away and the my oil light comes on and my truck starts making a ticking noise, called the company the come out to inspect the truck and was told that it wasn't enough oil placed in the truck at the time of change, which I knew that once I heard the ticking sound myself but the next day the District mananger of the store came out to inspect the truck and it sounded fine after starting it, but once it was driven about the same distance it done the same thing he told me it could be my oil pump needed to be replaced and it was possible that it was no fought to them because it could have had a leak before hand and something about pressure.....

I just need some advise or words of wisdom because I know my vehicle was running great and it had zero lights on before I took in for the oil change.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have the oil replaced with shell rotella 15-40 desiel oil wth a new filter and see if the problem goes away,
most oil places these days use 5w20 if your lucky and ask you might get 10w30 neither work in a LR.

other than that it is time to have your oil preasure tested hot and cold.

Last edited by drowssap; 02-20-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

OK, does oil show normal on the stick when cold and on level ground?

Oil light comes on at under 7-8 PSI. Normal PSI is like 50 warmed up at 2500 rpm. You would have a heckuva leak to take out a few quarts in 20 -30 miles.

What kind of oil? As an example, a wrong type would be 5W20. Last digits need to be "40", as in 5W40, or 15W40. A too thin oil at elevated temps will thin out and drop oil PSI. Running a quart low won't kill the engine in just a few miles.

The oil pump can be cracked and make a ticking sound. You could also have a slipped cycliner liner that starts ticking when warmed up, but it does not turn on oil light.

A mechanical oil PSI test can be done, and I'd advise on a new filter (maybe you have a bad one) and new oil (and hopefully from somewhere else).

But to be fair, the new oil may have just freed up some old sludge to cause problems. Example would include that block is so sludged that oil can't drain back fast enough and the pickup screen sucks air. That can be something as simple as an O-ring on the pickup tube is rotted, or the oil galleys sludged. The jumbo oil filters in the tech area write up add capacity to the oil system, and make this harder to happen. You can remove valve covers and poke a thin rod down the oil galleys.

A pressure tester from parts store (loanner?) or Harbor Freight can tell you what pressures are going on. If oil pump is needed, the whole kit is like $115 from Atlantic British.

Get what you can from them, and good luck with that. The last time I paid someone to change my oil Wally World did it on my Kia van. They left off an o-ring and it blew out all the oil in 50 miles and SWMBO pulled into her lot with oil light on. I topped it up, wrangled with them (they offered an oil change and bag of kitty litter to soak up leak), got no where, have changed my oil ever since. Have 245K on van, so it does not seem to have done any lasting damage.

Attached Thumbnails Recent Oil change and now my truck is making ticking noise!!!!!-oil-pump.jpg   Recent Oil change and now my truck is making ticking noise!!!!!-eng-1a.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-20-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

Thank you!!! For you advise!!! I will jump right on that

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

review this sticky https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-46975/

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-20-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First of all, there is no way that manager could tell if the pump is bad, just a guess on his part.
How long after you start the engine does the ticking start, when does the oil light come on?
How mechanical are you?
If you can do one, an oil pressure test is in order, can you do one?
Do not drive the truck for any reason untill this is worked out or that shop will say it is your fault cause you kept driving it knowing there is a problem.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
4th Gear

Ok Thanks!!! So yes they put in 5W30 oil, so with that ticking noise you don't think my engine is messed up because others by listening to it keep telling me my engine is shot. Im not going to let them touch my vechicle ever but I will take in all of your advice..... Thank you again!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

get that 5w30 out of there. I made the same mistake and within 20 minutes the engine sounded like someone threw a handfull of marbles in my engine. drained there crap out replaced the oil and filter and have not had a problem since, you may be lucky too.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want to believe your engine is shot without testing, then believe it, but they are only guessing and you are falling into it.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

IF they put in Synthetic - get it out.
These engines are SO LOOSE - just put in Rotella non synthetic 15W-40 to 50W or such.

If you live in very very cold place for the winter - then you are probably better off with synthetic if it is 0 degrees out.

Quick Reply: Recent Oil change and now my truck is making ticking noise!!!!!