Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent work done and more needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent work done and more needed

Hi everyone-

I have been working on my 2000 Discovery II SE7 with 171K miles and had the codes read recently (1300, 1590, 0734 & 0741)

(Here is a list of items that have been done recently:
Wires and spark plugs- about 1 yr ago
Replaced throttle body heater plate and gasket
Cleaned throttle body
Seafoam induction cleaning
Replaced oil separator and hoses
Changed transmission fluid and sump gasket (tried changing filter but 2/3 screws completely stripped)
Changed differential fluid and transfer case
Flushed breaks
Flushed PAS/Replace ACE
Flushed oil

I will be getting the codes cleared tomorrow and will see what else pops up. I have a few items that still need to be worked on. I have been doing all of the work myself with the help form this forum (I wish I found it sooner).

Here's my to do list:
Check engine light
Coolant leak- can’t locate the leak. Looks like it is dripping (almost clear and sweet taste) by the driver’s side weep hole by transmission. Heater coil?
3 amigos
Broken nylon wheel in window regulator
Valve cover gaskets
Head gasket?
Leaking above headliner
Cruise control not working

I have little if any knowledge of what things are, how they work, and very basic tools however over the last few weeks I have gotten the things needed and have done the work myself. I think the most pressing is the valve cover gasket and not sure if this is something I can wing like I have with the other items I have done. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all of the help and especially the pics! Keep it up!!!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

1300 - multiple misfires

1590 - rough road signal (get ready for a visit from the 3 Amigos)

0734 - transmission code - 4th gear ratio is not the correct ratio to meet engine demands

0741 - torque converter lock up clutch fault - could be a cable problems as transmission is electronic, with solenoid valves.

Sounds like you are ready for the expensive things to fix. You could have your own code reader and scanner, an Ultra Gauge is $70.

Are you sure it is coolant leaking, sounds like it might be AC condesate drain.

Valve covers - try snug up with 8mm 12 point skinny socket, every oil change.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

More than likely its not that your valve cover gaskets have gone bad, but rather the small bolts that hold it down tightly to the head have loosened. Try tightening them, then just remember to do so with every oil change.

As for the Cruise Control problem. Check all fuses under dash and under hood first. Then check all the vacuum hoses attached to the diaphragm(passenger side near the firewall, just look for the rubber boot looking thing that is attached to the throttle cable). They are notorious for dry rotting and cracking, especially in the tight bends.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
4wd Low

Alright- I got the codes cleared. The 3-amigos are still there and the service engine soon light came back on after about a minute. Here are the new codes- 1590 and 0150.

As far as the valve cover gasket- there is a 1 inch x 1/4 inch piece sticking out from between there (see pic) so it definitely needs to be replaced. I got a price of $750 form a “reputable” shop here to replace both of them. How difficult will it be for me to do myself with limited knowledge if I get the needed parts and tools? Also how long should it take to do?

I haven’t finished checking all of the fuses as it started to rain. I will see what I can find and let you know.

Thanks for all of the help!

Attached Thumbnails Recent work done and more needed-20130501_175707.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that tab is supposed to be there. It doesn't look like the gasket is bent or torn. I would leave it alone and see if it leaks when it's running. I don't think it will.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tantra12
Alright- I got the codes cleared. The 3-amigos are still there and the service engine soon light came back on after about a minute. Here are the new codes- 1590 and 0150.

As far as the valve cover gasket- there is a 1 inch x 1/4 inch piece sticking out from between there (see pic) so it definitely needs to be replaced. I got a price of $750 form a “reputable” shop here to replace both of them. How difficult will it be for me to do myself with limited knowledge if I get the needed parts and tools? Also how long should it take to do?

I haven’t finished checking all of the fuses as it started to rain. I will see what I can find and let you know.

There suppose to be there.

See...

Last edited by coors; 05-02-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I got a price of $750 form a “reputable” shop here to replace both of them. Thanks for all of the help!
Ouch!

How difficult will it be for me to do myself with limited knowledge if I get the needed parts and tools? Also how long should it take to do?

Not that hard at all. Download the RAVE if you haven't already and follow procedures for removing the upper intake plenum. The, move on to the rocker cover gasket removal section. Cake walk.

IMO, For $750 it's worth a shot.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM
4wd Low

Okay I thought it had slid out or something. Thanks for clearing that up. I posted another pic so you could see how much oil was leaking from the area. Any other places to look to see if any other gaskets etc need to be replaced? Someone also mentioned replacing the timing belt- since they tend to go out around 200K miles.

Attached Thumbnails Recent work done and more needed-20130501_175713.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They have a timing chain, not a belt. They can stretch with age and and get sloppy. But you will have other things inside the front cover, oil pump gears, front seal, etc. A kit of parts without the chain is about $110.

The oil leaking valve covers can be snugged up with 8mm 12 point slim sockets.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM
4wd Low

Savannah Buzz- So just tighten the bolts to see if that stops the leak?

Also any thoughts on the two codes:
1590 already have 3 amigos- Not sure what to do for this one. I did see the write up on the how to sticky. Would that take care of them?
0150 o2 sensor needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your time!

Quick Reply: Recent work done and more needed