Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Recommendations on lift kits

Ok here's the questions I got. I'm looking at either a 2" or 3" lift. I know most people say go ahead and get the 3 now instead of dreading it later. My one gripe is terrifirma, ome, and therest with the exception of rte have a passenger side and drivers side which will cause some lean. Not a fan of that. I spoke in great detail with rte and Great Basin rovers about the lifts. Great Basin said their 3" ome comprises of 2" springs with spacers and then additional spacer to compensate the lean. Rte has a great set up and I've heard their 2" springs are really about a 3" spring. I will be changing the lower front shock mount to accept better shocks and give me a wider option. I'm looking at the blistein 7100 remote resivoirs or even ome remote resivoirs. I plan on the roof racks, rear bumper, dark crow front bumper (love the stinger look) and not really worried about running big *** tires. I just want a little more ground clearance and we all know the factory abs sensors are good for 3" lifts if you go in the look and undo the zip tie (just in case you didn't know) and I will order a set of those Casey custom made sliders with the air tanks built in BC that's just genius in my book. Tell me your thoughts and feelings guys.
Jason

Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Ok here's the questions I got. I'm looking at either a 2" or 3" lift. I know most people say go ahead and get the 3 now instead of dreading it later. My one gripe is terrifirma, ome, and therest with the exception of rte have a passenger side and drivers side which will cause some lean. Not a fan of that. I spoke in great detail with rte and Great Basin rovers about the lifts. Great Basin said their 3" ome comprises of 2" springs with spacers and then additional spacer to compensate the lean. Rte has a great set up and I've heard their 2" springs are really about a 3" spring. I will be changing the lower front shock mount to accept better shocks and give me a wider option. I'm looking at the blistein 7100 remote resivoirs or even ome remote resivoirs. I plan on the roof racks, rear bumper, dark crow front bumper (love the stinger look) and not really worried about running big *** tires. I just want a little more ground clearance and we all know the factory abs sensors are good for 3" lifts if you go in the look and undo the zip tie (just in case you didn't know) and I will order a set of those Casey custom made sliders with the air tanks built in BC that's just genius in my book. Tell me your thoughts and feelings guys.
Jason

3" RTE all the way. Absolutely no lean or sag and I have a ton of heavy accessories. The finish is hard as nails and with your planned bumper you can get 33"'s under it with no trimming. All for $375. Unbeatable affordability and dependability.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Frank4
3" RTE all the way. Absolutely no lean or sag and I have a ton of heavy accessories. The finish is hard as nails and with your planned bumper you can get 33"'s under it with no trimming. All for $375. Unbeatable affordability and dependability.
what kind of shocks did you go with and did you do any other mods to it to have it functioning properly. I know they wanna sell the whole kit for almost $2,000

Old 01-30-2017, 06:04 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

what kind of shocks did you go with and did you do any other mods to it to have it functioning properly. I know they wanna sell the whole kit for almost $2,000
Shocks and springs are all you really need to get. You should get the extended brake lines if you want to do any sort of offroading.

As for shocks, the terafirmas are good. Thats what ill be replacing my pro comps with come spring.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Pro Wrench

That's what I was figuring. I really didn't need all the added they had but for a novice it sounded enticing. I think I'll order the springs and either the ome remote resivoirs or blistein 7100 remote resivoirs and the adapter to fit those style shocks.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Pro Wrench

I also planned on getting the extended brake lines anyways since I think these are still stock

Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

I just did the Terra Firma + 2's or whatever they are called. Just a word of advice on the spending big bucks on shocks. Once you put a lift on these trucks, I don't care what brand I have had a few, shocks aren't really a huge player. You can get the bilstiens or OME and be disappointed that it doesn't ride well and be out big bucks or get the terra firma or something in that range and still be disappointed but have a few bucks to put towards another accessory.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Frank4
I just did the Terra Firma + 2's or whatever they are called. Just a word of advice on the spending big bucks on shocks. Once you put a lift on these trucks, I don't care what brand I have had a few, shocks aren't really a huge player. You can get the bilstiens or OME and be disappointed that it doesn't ride well and be out big bucks or get the terra firma or something in that range and still be disappointed but have a few bucks to put towards another accessory.
great advice. I'm used to having a good shock per say and I am not gonna spend a fortune but I also want it to be comfortable on the road.....off road I don't care

Old 01-30-2017, 09:38 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Hence the proper choice of springs. This not not rocket surgery... No shock will help really stiff springs. Don't buy really stiff springs if you don't carry lots of extra weight all the time. Compared to stock, medium duty off road springs are generally considered way more stiff. As mentioned no shock will fix that if you are wanting to retain the luxury style ride.

Bottom line be honest with yourself, and your significant other, about exactly how stiff you want your ride.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Hence the proper choice of springs. This not not rocket surgery... No shock will help really stiff springs. Don't buy really stiff springs if you don't carry lots of extra weight all the time. Compared to stock, medium duty off road springs are generally considered way more stiff. As mentioned no shock will fix that if you are wanting to retain the luxury style ride.

Bottom line be honest with yourself, and your significant
other, about exactly how stiff you want your ride.
With everything I plan on putting on it, I will need heavy duty n that's why I thought rte. As for stiff ride, I work for the railroad so if it rides smoother than a locomotive.....that would be great. Just didn't know which shocks some were using and how they were holding up. You can read reviews all day long but when I know there is a plethora of knowledge on here with guys and gals that have tried numerous set ups, I figured just go straight to the source and get as many pros and cons as I can to help in the decision.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on lift kits