Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile Recommended Winter Tires?

Alright so in the next few months I'm going to be shopping for some high end aggressive winter tires to get me through another notorious New England winter. I live on a steep mountain, and deep snow and black ice are to common around here. The vehicle is a 2004 Discovery, no mods no lift kits. 18" alloy rims. What do you suggest? I prefer non studded as NH law says they have to be off the road by a specified deadline and I don't feel like dealing with that hassle. Again I'm looking for something really aggressive with lots of grip, yet still compatible with standard 18" rims. If you add pictures of the suggested tires then that would be good to.

Thanks all! I'm still a newb when it comes to tires!

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

For the sake of cost, I would suggest you buy a used set of factory 16" wheels and install something like a 245/75/16 snow tire of your choice, keeping these for the winter and your 18's for the summer. The reason I am suggesting this is 18" snow tires are really expensive.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order 16 rims from Atlantic british .and use Bridgestone blizzak snow tires u will also need
A set of lug nut.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought a very nice set of LR 16" rims off eBay for $ 99.00. Can't believe I scored them for this price. They look brand new. Can't wait to save 400.00 on new tires vs the cost of my 18".

Old 08-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nokian's have been the best winter tires i've ever used for passenger cars; but, I cant speak to their truck/suv tires. I have a set of general grabber at2s on so I think i'm going to keep them on over the winter and see how they fair. If I think I need more bite i'll probably get the Nokian hakafubabubba 7s. Vermont winters tend to require a bit more aggressions than most other states for winter, even the highways here are pure white between nov and march.

You can also get some p38 rims from luck8, can even get 8in wide ones if you want a bigger footprint though you might want to ask around the forums if they'll fit alright, I havnt done any wheel changes so not sure of what you can get away with on these trucks.

Last edited by br0keit; 08-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - VENTED 16" X 8" HEAVY DUTY STEEL WHEEL FINISHED IN SATIN BLACK DISCOVERY II
$98 a wheel in satin black, it'll be cheap to get snow tires(I love my general altimax snow tires on my S60R) for the 16" wheels.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Firestone Wintermark, they will last you forever.
I have seen a set with over 90,000 miles on them and they can be used all year.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the nokian hakka's on my vehicles when we are in NH for winter. There are several models but I preferred them over my last few sets of blizzak's.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I put Coopers on our 1997 D1.

Tire Products By Vehicle - Discount Tire

Frequently Asked Questions

My Land Rover Discovery was built using Michelin tyres to obtain the characteristic ride & handling - will a Coopers perform to the same level.
Cooper being a non-OE tyre is made to a standard not a price, so the characteristics will be at the least equivalent and in most cases better than the original tyre supplied with the vehicle.
What is the difference between a mud tyre and a sand tyre?
A mud tyre has a very aggressive tread pattern, soft tread compound, designed to cut and bite into the mud for grip, then self clean to enable grip to be maintained. A “digging tyre”. A sand tyre is less aggressive in the tread pattern, however a mud tyre can be used on sand with lower tyre pressures set. (Refer to the 4wd Driver’s Guide for recommended pressures to suit varying driving conditions)
Are Cooper Tires also made for snow conditions?
All Cooper tyres are mud and snow rated, however depending on conditions chains may need to be used.
Do Cooper tyres manufacture a “universal” tyre suitable for most types of terrain?
While there is no “universal tyre” that can suit all applications the Cooper A/T3 or ST are good all rounders that will suit most applications with the right tyre pressures being used. Consult your local dealer to ensure you are getting the right tyre for the usage you will be putting the tyre to.
How do Cooper tyres handle in wet weather conditions?
Cooper tyres use the latest technology and designs in their tyres. See through tread patterns allow water to be rapidly dispersed from the tyre surface reducing the aquaplaning effect and improving traction for a better safer ride.
Is steering response improved by using Cooper tyres compared to other brands?
With deeper tread and stronger sidewalls allowing the tyres to stand straighter, Cooper Tyres give better ride and handling characteristics than other brands.
Will fuel economy be improved by fitting Cooper tyres compared to other brands?
With the Cooper tyres having deeper tread than other manufacturers fuel economy may show minimal differences.
Do Cooper tyres have an extra protective layer between the tread and the steel belts?
Yes, it is a spiral layer nylon over wrap giving the tyre more strength and directional stability.
What is the ply bias on the sidewalls?
Bias ply is a type of construction non steel belted, and is in most cases being replaced by the steel belted radials.
Please explain the relationship between width and aspect ratio.
Aspect ratio is the % the distance the side wall depth compares to the width measurement: e.g. a 265 75 16 tyre has a sidewall measurement of approx 75% of the tread measurement (the 265 figure).
Do I have to buy a full set to be able to get whatever warranty is available (eg can I buy only 2 tyres)?
No. If you are eligible for mileage warranty it will apply subject to the normal terms and conditions. All other warranties apply as normal.
How often do I have to get the tyres checked within the warranty period?
Every 10,000 Kms or as near to that as possible. Your Authorised Cooper Dealer may reccomend you to come in sooner then 10,000kms depending on your vehicle and type of driving that you do.
I have tyres that are good for sand driving is there a good Cooper equivalent?
All Cooper tyres can be driven in the sand, tyre pressures are the guiding factor and need to be set according to the prevailing conditions. Refer to our 4wd Driver’s guide for more information. (Contact us and we will send one to you)

Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

If you end up getting 16" rims and want to spend some $$. Get the GoodYear Duratracs. I've had them for a year. You can stud them. I scored mine for $600 new installed on CL. They are about $1000 from a GoodYear store. Nice tires with sidewall protection. They are winter rated with the Snowflake symbol. I'm excited to really use them as I now live in Denver.

Quick Reply: Recommended Winter Tires?