Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

regular gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck with the new purchase. Did the Indy shop say they replaced or rebuilt the drive shaft? Also I would check the rotoflex for wear.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, drive shaft has been replaced.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:23 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

There are a few other considerations not yet argued about here:

Premium with 10% ethanol is different that straight premium. Please specify when you tell us what you use.

Any gas with detergents will get a different result than cheap grocery store gas.

4.0 may react differently than 4.6 as the 4.6 is a peppier engine, variations may be more noticeable. Again when reporting your experience remember to specify what engine you are running.

If you always run regular how would you know what your truck runs like without the timing being retarded? It takes more than one tank (and possibly more than one drive cycle) to tell the difference and for your computer to advance the timing.

Once your injectors are gummed up with cheap gas you also will not notice the difference gained with better gas, or whether the timing is retarded until you clean those injectors thoroughly.

If you are so cheap as to save a few dimes every time you spend $50 then possibly you should not be a Land Rover owner.

Last edited by Dave03S; 12-16-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree the cost is negligible. That's not even the issue with me. The issue I have is NOBODY can give you a true answer. That's ALL I want.

No regular (vs premium) gas won't clog your injectors

No it's not the factor in oil caked heads.

No, I have gotten the same if not better fuel economy with regular vs premium

Yes it can cost you about 8$ more a tank and if your like I used to be you might go through 3 tanks a week. (I now just drive my wife's diesel jetta if I'm driving that much)

I'm probably younger than 90% of the people here I probably make more than 90% of the people here and I have next to 0 bills. So yeah I think I can afford some premium gas.

For the record I have only ran about 3 consecutive tanks of regular in my truck. But I have seen the insides of those who ran premium (my own and others) I have also seen the insides of those who ran regular and not a difference.

It just ticks me off when people state their theories as fact. Give me proof, or at least something that makes sense.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Land Rover owners manual says that premium fuel is required, end of story.
This guy tackles the question and gives a honest answer.

Last edited by Spike555; 12-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555

ABN_ASK AND AUTO TECH, PREMIUM VS REGULAR GAS - YouTube

Is Premium Gas Worth Premium Price? - YouTube
Can't wait to watch

Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are so young and wealthy why are you driving your wife's jetta to save gas money? Surely your car service should be toting you around in the back of an escalade.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555

ABN_ASK AND AUTO TECH, PREMIUM VS REGULAR GAS - YouTube

Is Premium Gas Worth Premium Price? - YouTube
Sorry spike, know I love you but, that have me no answers other than follow the owners manual because they said so.

While that's true. Remember what were driving. It's a landrover they over engineer some things (99% interior and comfort related) the rest is slapped together.

As I have said and proven premium is required in my Lr3 with a ford explorer V6 because they said so.

AM I the only one that thinks they slapped a premium sticker on it because
A. Its a premium brand vehicle
B. octane rating is higher in Europe. (Of I'd it I can't remember if there's a conversion to our ratings or what)

Seriously. Run premium if you wish, run regular if you wish. I'm not argueing FOR regular. I'm argueing against uneducated responses like "dat dere land rover is junk cuz it has dat regurar" or "don't buy it its trashed" or "they over worked the knock sensor"

And again.

WHAT WOULD CAUSE REGULAR TO KNOCK IN OUR LOW COMPRESSION EMGINES?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
If you are so young and wealthy why are you driving your wife's jetta to save gas money? Surely your car service should be toting you around in the back of an escalade.
Soo many personal attacks, relax bro its the Internet. And because blowing through 250$ a week is excessive I can spend 77$ on diesel

Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover De Land
Sorry spike, know I love you but, that have me no answers other than follow the owners manual because they said so.

While that's true. Remember what were driving. It's a landrover they over engineer some things (99% interior and comfort related) the rest is slapped together.

As I have said and proven premium is required in my Lr3 with a ford explorer V6 because they said so.

AM I the only one that thinks they slapped a premium sticker on it because
A. Its a premium brand vehicle
B. octane rating is higher in Europe. (Of I'd it I can't remember if there's a conversion to our ratings or what)

Seriously. Run premium if you wish, run regular if you wish. I'm not argueing FOR regular. I'm argueing against uneducated responses like "dat dere land rover is junk cuz it has dat regurar" or "don't buy it its trashed" or "they over worked the knock sensor"

And again.

WHAT WOULD CAUSE REGULAR TO KNOCK IN OUR LOW COMPRESSION EMGINES?
I know and I am not arguing with you my friend.
I use premium in my truck 98% of the time and I do not worry about it if I use regular.
Back when gas was over $4gal I used regular, truck ran fine, of course it would, its a fuel injected computer controlled engine and the computer adjusts for fuel grade.
I will say that if a engine is of poor tune using the wrong grade of fuel may cause problems.
I think a person should use whatever the owners manual says, they designed it, they built it, they tested it, they know best.
In my experience with my truck the original owner always used premium, I have used premium 98% of the time, my head gaskets are original.
Is it because of the fuel that they have lasted so long? Is it luck? Clean living? Hope and prayer? I have no idea.
Using the wrong grade of fuel will not blow up the engine, it wont carbon it up, it wont flood the crank case, it wont cause a black hole or aliens to invade earth.
Use whatever the owners manual says, dont worry about it and carry on.
Life is WAY to short to sweat the small stuff, hell, I dont even sweat the big stuff much anymore.

And as to what would cause our 9.35:1 compression engines to spark knock?
Using the wrong octane rating motor fuel and working the engine really hard. Towing a heavy trailer, full throttle acceleration, etc.
I think it is the computer program that makes these engines require premium fuel and not the engine itself.
Same with the LR3 V6, I think it is the computer mapping and not the compression rating.
I do not know the compression rating of the Ford V6.

Last edited by Spike555; 12-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: regular gas?