Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

regular gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
I'll misquote you like you did me.

"Octane has nothing to do with at what time fuel detonates, I use 87 octane from American Gas or whatever no name brand is cheapest because the additives in BP or Sunoco do nothing. When I do sell my disco I will just tell a fib to the buyer that I always used premium and did regular oil changes"
Oh so you actually have nothing to contribute

Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it too much honestly. Unless you are buying from an original owner and they have the receipts, flinging a 10 year old rig that just used premium would be a crap shoot anyway.
When you get any used Disco, my opinion would be to run premium, use Lucas fuel treatment in each tank, do a sea foam treatment (in oil, intake and gas) and use a good oil and change often.
Mine was taken care of, and only the best parts used when the previous owner did the gaskets, brakes, etc. yet still, the insides were dirty. I've since cleaned her out as described above. Better MPG now than 30k ago.
Also, I ran regular for over 2 weeks during the hurricane as you were lucky to find gas in my area at all (without a 3 hour wait). I was shocked, but she ran just as well and got the same MPG. Granted I still put premium in when it was available again, but no change in anything.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There is a new trend in engines, premium fuel is becoming the new norm, Ford Eco Boost, premium, Chevy Volt, premium, Mazda direct injection, premium, the new Cadillac, premium.
I would not be surprised if in the near future in order to meet the new MPG standards premium fuel was required in all engines and that regular was phased out completely.

I run premium 98% of the time in my Rover and I use it 100% of the time in all of my small engine equipment.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rover De Land
Oh so you actually have nothing to contribute
I have plenty to contribute, unfortunately my last four posts have been pointless, angled at your idiocy. Complete waste really. Nothing can fix stupid.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
I have plenty to contribute, unfortunately my last four posts have been pointless, angled at your idiocy. Complete waste really. Nothing can fix stupid.
True.

Care to debate what I said and why it's wrong? Or are we just upset?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

there is no need to debate what you said! All you need to do is look back on this thread. You quoted something that I never said and stated a response as if I had said it. That is what is wrong. Don't get all feisty with forum members if all you do is misinterpret their posts and transform them into false information. who is this "we" that you keep speaking of and why are they upset?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Cant we all just get along?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I sure struck a nerve with this question; lots of opinions!

To update, I did buy this Disco and got it for $1,000 less than the owner was asking. Still a tad more than I wanted to pay but it was a local vehicle and had routine service at the indy shop where I used to have my '04 serviced. The tech there gave me a good report. Gotta say I feel good about it and it seems solid as a rock (initially). Guess I will at least alternate between premium and reg gas. Maybe go with midgrade and see how she runs.

Thanks to all for the input.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Likes on 81 Posts

Thank you and enjoy your new ride. A wonderful holiday present would be an Ultra Gauge, don't trust the heat gauge over 50%.

As for fuel, here is something we can all agree on....

Attached Thumbnails regular gas?-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg   regular gas?-ultra-gauge.jpg   regular gas?-fuel_gauge_in_dollars.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I believe one thing you are all missing in lost low end torque and around 1.5 MPH.
How many of you people who run cheap get 14 to 5 MPG in town and 18.5 plus on the highway and these numbers are at 6000 feet plus.

Quick Reply: regular gas?