Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relay, Fuses, Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Relay, Fuses, Frustration

Greetings, no radio that stays on, no windshield wipers (unless I swap Relay 7 with 4 and then they move in 2 inch distance as I turn the switch on and off) and the pump works, no fog lights, and no instrument lights (which made me replace the turn signal to no avail -- however the gear shift lights come on.) I should mention the instruments flicker as I turn the turn signal through the 2 stages but stays off). Going through the groundings in the engine and both footwells, and all appears well, as do the fuses. Getting ready to start replacing all the relays, but I was not aware they were so dear. (Radio Shack does not carry them up here so I will be stuck paying 40 a piece no doubt). So, getting ready to get the volt meter and start the horrific job of tracing. My thoughts are the front left fog light which likes to act as a pool for water, but it is drained and dry. Any thoughts from any of you?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Mudding

Talking to myself again, but, I did find this. and a lot of threads on the Body Control Module. I have no idea where the darn thing is even located, so I am looking for advice on that too.

Land Rover V8 Discovery Faults

Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

There are a bunch of heavy duty fuses under the hood which are
well shall I say "master fuses" which go to the smaller fuse boxes
in the passenger's cabin.
I would check those for good contact.

Download the Rave book and have a look at where they are.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In addition to using the RAVE schematics and electrical library, look at dismantlers like Paul Grant (posts frequently on this site) as a relay source. The stalk switches like to corrode inside, they can be dismantled and cleaned up, or replaced. You have to turn the wheel 90 degrees to get at the mounting screws.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Mudding

Thanks for your assistance. I checked grounds in the engine, footwells and boot and all appeared fine. I extracted the fuse box from under the steering wheel and it was not corroded. My new turn signal works, but the instrument lights do not come on. Power at all fuses in both the engine and the cabin. No power at the fogs and the sunroofs do not work (so yes, I have a full on auxiliary power failure.) Something so dramatic has me thinking is must be a something dramatic like the ominous Engine Control Module. I find it amazing how power can go through so many fuses, according to the RAVE. So if power is getting to the Auxiliary Fuse but is not otherwise engaging the radio, fogs, sunroofs, instruments, compass etc., I am hoping someone has some quick and dirty test, as a contortionist I am not, and I continue to pray: Oh Lord give me patience, but hurry up! Cheers,

Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Instrument pack lamps go thru the dimmer.

Are instruments working but just not lighting up?

Fuse 12 under dash provides power to sunroof ecu.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 09-08-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Mudding

Hello, I have power at the 30 amp fuse No. 12. When the headlights come on, there are no instrument lights, nor compass, sunroof, radio etc.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Does lighter work? It uses same common ground header as the aux circuits relay, relay is in the underhood fuse box.

Does glove box light work? If so, volts are getting to header for C0759, where power comes, and part is sliced off, run through the dimmer, and back to instrument pod and other lights.

Do gauges move, or just no lights?

If ground header C0551 is off ground lots of things won't work. But location pix in the RAVE shows it under carpet....

Old 09-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Mudding

Thanks SB. No, lighter does not work (I plugged in my GPS and nada). No glove or vanity lights. Fuel guage works, all lights on the dash, but no instrument lights. Under the carpet? Muscling the darn thing out, but I see a header. Just blew the second fuse No. 7 when I was going through your list. But I do not know if it was when I plugged in the gps. So, with the fuse going, I have run out of them. Lastly, I was thinking water may have come into the console, so I established the rear windows work, but the front ones do not; having no fuse, perhaps this is to be expected.

Last edited by kdscott100; 09-08-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Lastly
Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

With an ohm meter you read between fuse connector (fuse removed) and chassis ground. You can see if a load is there, or still open.

Quick Reply: Relay, Fuses, Frustration