Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Entry, Door lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Remote Entry, Door lock issues

Guys, have a 04' Disco SE that I have had for about a year. Love it!! Anyway, at times when I hit the unlock on my remote it does not unlock the drivers door. All other locks work just fine but the driver side will not open with the remote. I have to manually insert the key to get it to open. Same thing with the unlock on the inside of the car, it will not unlock this door. Happens a few times a week but not all the time. Help!!! What could be my problem/possibly fix?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default same problem...

Ya I am having the same issue on my 2000 Disco SII. Except the driver's door doesn't unlock, nor does the rear passenger door. The driver's door does open with the key, but as I can't put the key in the rear door this door does not unlock at all. It just stays locked. And I can't manually pull it up to unlock it either.

Anyone have a fix for this?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Drifting

If you pull the handle twice from the inside it will open the door.. and if you replace all the bad actuators your key fob will operate corectly.. my guest is that it has something to do with the alarm.. i fixed my one bad actuator with a checked salvage yard one $95.00 plus shipping found it online " rover parts "i think

Last edited by 4x4trouble; 02-08-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: content
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What happens for both of you if you hit the unlock button 2 or 3 times, will it then unlock? If you put your hand on the door lock button and push the remote, do you feel the lock button trying to move? Most likely have a bad door latch assembly.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Winching
Default bad actuator?

@ Mike
Nothing happens when I push the remote button three or four times. It takes all the other doors at least two clicks to unlock.

When I push the button on my key, there is no movement inside the lock. At least that I can feel.

@ 4x4trouble
Where did you find the actuators? I was quoted $250 at a local Land Rover shop. I thought that was a little high. Just on Amazon I found them for $135 shipped.

Does each door need a unique actuator? Or they one size fits all?

Also, can any tell me an approximate skill level needed to fix these yourself? I am a pretty handy guy and think I could do it, but a ballpark would be nice.

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Not hard. Use some plastic body upholstery removal tools, the door panels are attached with plastic fasteners that pull out gently. The head of the fastener is held in the molded styrofoam core of of the door panel, grandma could rip it out. Pry very gently.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Check out prices for good, guaranteed used lock actuators at Roverlandparts.com, they usually have great prices.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Winching
Default Thanks

Thanks Mike and Savannah Buzz.

I was able to find the actuators on roverlandparts.com for $95 each. A lot better than the $250 I was quoted just for the part!

Just to make sure, this will fix the door locking problems? ie. when I push the button on my key/remote, they will lock/unlock?

Or if I use the lock/unlock button inside on the dash, they will lock/unlock?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

Same here guys, nothing happens when I hit the unlock button several times. I initially thought maybe the remote was the problem, but when hitting unlock from within the car didn't work, I knew I had a different issue.

Sounds like my issue might be the same as bballjames, thanks Mike for the price link. I will repair and return and report.

Thanks Savannah Buzz as well for your input on this.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Winching

Just ordered one of the door latches. After I receive it and have attempted at the fix, I will post an update.

Quick Reply: Remote Entry, Door lock issues