Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of alternator bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doomed
I have a '99 Discovery II and the tensioner assembly broke off of the alternator brackets - or so I thought. The broken part was actually the section of the alternator bracket that holds the tensioner assembly. I have removed my alternator and loosened all of the bolts that hold the bracket in place but it still isn't budging a bit. What am I missing? I am praying to God that it is not a part of the block. Help!
Hello there. Just want to know if you have already completed the bolts for your installation..Well, the next time you will buy, you should buy in sets rather than in pieces.That's all.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Alternator bracket in 2024

I have an 04 kept eating batteries. The charging was kinda above 12 but never 14 for the last 10 years. But Monday the red battery light came on and after starting when I hit the brake it would stall. Test the battery and it 11.4v so wasn't charging anymore. So ordered an alternator since eyesight isn't what it used to be to rebuild these.took of the shroud cover easy access to tensioner bolt 17mm loosen the belt. Loosens top front alt bolt easy with hand after first break loose. And the alternator was loose. The bracket part rhe holds the 2nd bolt behind the pulley is broken lift up on the alt there's a clean crack you don't see. Until it was loosened. Wonder if this was the cause for so long. Anyone who has had the issue have a part number I'm going to replace the pulley and tensioner too so it's a ll fresh.since the idle pulley has a crack in it.and it looks like the 13mm tension bolt is rounded like someone didn't know how to release the belt or this was a known issue and they weren't able to remove the bolt. Not liking this as it's winter. But if I can't find the part I'll just install the alternator with the 1 bolt and hope it holds til I find one. And I'll do my best with limited ability to find all those bolts noted in the thread. If anyone has current pics for the bolt locations great otherwise I'll break out the rave. Just was looking for quick as the alternator was an easy location.