Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove/disable SAI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Remove/disable SAI?

So, I have seen people touch on this question all over the web, but I can't find a definitive answer.

2004 Disco 2 SE. Newly rebuilt 4.6.

I'm at the point of my engine rebuild where I'm putting back on the SAI equipment next. (I bought the Disco torn down to the block, with slipped liner, so I didn't take off the SAI personally) Most of what I'm seeing isn't broke, but I'm not confident it'll last much longer.

Looking at SAI replacement anything prices, I cringe.

So, has anyone done a write up or a walk through on getting rid of the SAI all together? My state doesn't have inspections, and I plan to drive this thing till it blows up (again).

Last edited by knightmetro; 11-04-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

From what I've read, it's as simple as welding the plugs shut, unhook in everything, and switching out the computer with one from a pre-sai discovery. From what I've read; this is not first hand experience.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Mudding

I already locked in the SAI adapters to the head. I wonder if there is a copper/steel cap I could screw on over the top and seal them shut.

That would allow me to re-install it if came down to a crazy reason to do so.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by knightmetro
I already locked in the SAI adapters to the head. I wonder if there is a copper/steel cap I could screw on over the top and seal them shut.

That would allow me to re-install it if came down to a crazy reason to do so.
If you knew what size the threads were then you absolutely could. Even if you couldn't find caps, you could get those things that are like nuts, except they're around a couple inches long and they're used to connect two threaded items together, and you could weld the end of those shut. Use some loctite or something to seal them.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Mudding

So, after the holes are plugged up, in whichever way they are, what all SAI components can I remove or not re-install? I'd like to get as much thrown in a box as I can and not bother putting it back on.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Should be all of them, but remember that you will also need a computer from a pre-SAI Discovery, otherwise your check engine light will stay on constantly.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You'll also need the correct fuel pump housing and you'll have to wire the pressure sensor.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Fuel pump and pressure sensor? My understanding of the SAI system is that it is triggered by the temperature of the coolant as indicated by the sensor in the radiator. According to RAVE, the computer looks at the coolant temp and if it is under 50 degrees C then it kicks on the SAI. If this is the case, I would imagine if you checked the resistance across the sensor when the coolant is over 50 degrees C then placed an equivalent resistor across the connector then the system would never be triggered and the fact that the equipment isn't there wouldn't be an issue. Am I missing something?

I'm actually in the middle of dealing with an issue with the SAI on my 2004 D2. The solenoid was stuck open so the exhaust was blowing back into the pump after it shut off. I can get a new Pierburg (original equipment) for $55 locally so I'm going that route. I currently have no valve in it, I just unplugged the hoses and capped the vacuum port and it hasn't thrown any codes yet. By the way, a similar valve for a Chevy costs $18.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes, pressure sensor. The non-sai trucks have a pressure sensor in the pump for the evaporative loss system.

The SAI trucks use a DMTL pump instead, so there is no sensor in the pump.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WTR000010G

Discovery Fuel Pump

Discovery 2 Fuel Pump With Sealing Ring | Land Rover Fuel System Parts

SAI is just one component of the LEV or ULEV emissions package that is installed on the vehicles. The temp sensor in the radiator isn't related directly to the SAI, if I recall correctly, it's just another emissions component to let the computer know if the thermostat is stuck open.

Last edited by jafir; 11-05-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The temp sensor in the radiator is for the SAI. Radiators are listed for SAI and non-SAI, however now most of them have the port they just include a plug for non-SAI applications. By the way, I misspoke. The activation temp of the coolant is 55 degrees C.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SAI Operation.pdf (58.2 KB, 178 views)

Quick Reply: Remove/disable SAI?