Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove/disable SAI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
The temp sensor in the radiator is for the SAI. Radiators are listed for SAI and non-SAI, however now most of them have the port they just include a plug for non-SAI applications. By the way, I misspoke. The activation temp of the coolant is 55 degrees C.
Actually it isn't. Here is a list of all SAI parts:

Remove/disable SAI?-sai-parts.jpg

As I said before, the temp switch is just to let the computer know if the thermostat is working. See here:

Remove/disable SAI?-thermostat-monitoring-sensor.jpg

The SAI activation comes from the regular coolant temp sensor.
See here:

Remove/disable SAI?-sai-uses-ect.jpg

Last edited by jafir; 11-05-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting. So the fact that the listings for the radiator differentiate between SAI and non-SAI is actually not directly related to the SAI? The inclusion of the second sensor in the radiator just happens to coincide with the introduction of SAI? Weird.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Yep. For the "California" emissions 2000+ vehicles or the ULEV 2003+ vehicles, they added a bunch of stuff to lower emissions, SAI, thermostat monitoring, different leak detection systems, and I believe the computer is tuned to be more sensitive, but I have no proof of that other than just how my 1999 behave compared to how my 2003 behaved.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If I remove most of the SAI equipment that is attached to the engine, is there anything besides the holes in the heads that will need to be capped or plugged up?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

any drawbacks to using the sai heads that will now be plugged?

Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm... SAI .... would make some nice room for something else if that were not there

Old 12-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So, after 500 miles, the car is working just fine without the SAI.

What I did was plug up the SAI head fittings with high heat JB Weld. This was recommended by a local land rover mech. At least I can drill them back out if ever the need comes.

I only get a code about the SAI if I reset the battery, which I had to do a couple times for other reasons.

NOTE* That SAI temp sensor that goes into the radiator, you have to have that plugged in if you don't want to throw a code every time you start the car. I threw in a new Nissens radiator, and discarded putting in that sensor. After my UG yelled at me every time I stared the car, I went ahead and put that sensor over on the new rad. No more codes. I'm sure occasionally I'll get a SES light about the SAI, but for now I'm happy I'm without.

After hearing that SAI pump go off for the first time, before I disabled it, wow.... there is no way I could get used to that racket. I'd wake up the d**n neighbors every morning....

Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timely thread.
My 04-SAI truck is about to get a heart transplant/upgrade from a 2000-non-SAI truck.
From reading the thread...
Can I simply remove the ECU from donor truck, and swap into my 04? Plug in the 2nd temp sensor, and plug up the SAI pipe?
By swapping the ECUs, that would still allow me to pass inspection? Actually, I think my inspection is almost up.. I might just plug up the SAI holes and swap ECUs and see if I pass (of course plug up the pipes)... if not, swap back and reconnect the pipes.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Is a 4.0 an upgrade from a 4.6?

Old 12-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by knightmetro
NOTE* That SAI temp sensor that goes into the radiator, you have to have that plugged in if you don't want to throw a code every time you start the car. I threw in a new Nissens radiator, and discarded putting in that sensor. After my UG yelled at me every time I stared the car, I went ahead and put that sensor over on the new rad. No more codes. I'm sure occasionally I'll get a SES light about the SAI, but for now I'm happy I'm without.
In the previous posts, that sensor in the radiator was discussed. It has nothing to do with the SAI. It is used by the ECU to determine if the thermostat has failed so it will give you a code if it isn't used.

Quick Reply: Remove/disable SAI?