Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing door panels, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing door panels, advice?

My driver side front window has apparently popped off the track or a gear has broken, the motor still works when you push the button but the window just keeps sliding down into the door. I'd like to get in there and investigate but before I do I didn't know if anyone had any pointers to removing the door panels. I'm sure it's not rocket science but I'd like to avoid breaking any clips or attachments in the process. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Default RE: removing door panels, advice?

I am workn on my passenger side right now. It is easy to get to it, I used a flat head and pried very, very gently around the edges. Once one pops loose you will get a feel for it. be sure to support it when you get towards the end. unplug your speaker wire so you dont hang up on it. it was fairly easy to get my old regulator out. but I am really having a time getting the new one to hook up right. Its kinda like wrestling an octopus (I would imagine) tell us how it goes. maybe you can help me get mine in when your done.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Overlanding

Alright, I'll give it a shot and let ya know how it goes. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Overlanding

So I've removed the door panel and found a gear sitting in the bottom of the door which has obviously broken off/fell off wherever it goes. It's about an 8 inch long half moon shaped looking ring gear. I looked up inside the door as much as I could and moved the window up and down manually to see where it might have attached but I'm stumped thus far. I'll take another look tomorrow when I have more time but if anyone's got any input I'd be more than happy to hear it. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Mudding

its the regulator gear. exactly what happened to mine. to see where it goes you gotta pull the whole thing out. the teeth of it mate to the window motor, thus raising and lowering the window. As far as reattaching it I don't know I just got a new one from atlanticbritish for around $80.

Old 03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Hi guys think i can help here, first you must secure the drop glass so it doesnt do any surgurey to your hands when you loosten the fastenings,nextyou have to take out the screws holding the door panel in place ,next pop off the door card by gentley prying around the panel.the next job would be to dissconect any speakers in the panel,after this you will probably be faced with a moisture barrier in the form of a polythene curtain ,this can be painstakingly removed or just cut back and repaired with duck tape later.After this you must get the window into a position so as to be able to loosten the two 8 mm headed bolts securing the glass to the runner.With the window free of the runner you can use duck tape over the top of the frame to keep the glass up and out of the way.Next you undo all the 8mm headed bolts in the door metal panel ,they are all gold in color,with all these out the regulator will move to a position so you can dissconect the power,be carefull here as you can damage the connector if you are too rough.Let the whole regulator fall into the bottom of the door and gently feed it out through the bottom largest hole, motor last.When you have it out deppending on what you have bought from your local supplier you will have to transfer the motor to the new regulator,in most cases the motor should be ok.Then when refitting its best to put the regulator back in to the door motor first,then its just a case of hooking it all back up,terminal connector first then install the regulator onto the door.Check to see you have it working ok then put it into a position where youcan remount it to the glass ,do your final test and refit the dorr caseing job done .Hope this helps Paul

Old 03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Mudding

i'm sure the plastic sheet helps, but is it really necessary when we're puttin 'em back together? one of my cats thought it was a new bed and got stuck to it. now my cat has less hair and my plastic sheet has more( i could probably clean it off ok) just curious as to what the sheet is really for?(block dust,etc...)