Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Removing O2 sensors

A couple of questions concerning removing the post cat O2 sensors:

1. Before i even attempt to unbolt the sensor from the exhaust bung I am brushing away any scale and soaking the connection with PB blaster, any other tips?

2. I have inspected the plastic connectors. The drivers side is pretty accessible the passenger side is not. I cannot even get my hand through the exhaust to get to the pinch connector on the passenger side. On the driver's side it is accessible but when I push down on the pinch connector and even pull down with a set of vice grips it is not budging. Am I missing something here?

Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi.. it doesn't move down ..
push the "pinch connector" and then pull up the other part of the connector.. the one at the o2 sensor it is hold in place with another clip... once you separate the connectors use a slot screwdriver to loose it.... take a look in the new one to see where to use the screwdriver...

Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this on my '04 yesterday for the first time. I simply used something (screwdriver, allen wrench) to push the button and then pulled down on the wires connected to the O2 Sensor. The key I found is that there is an audible click when you have the connector disengaged. They will only part after you hear the click and might require a little wiggling.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Ducwad
I just did this on my '04 yesterday for the first time. I simply used something (screwdriver, allen wrench) to push the button and then pulled down on the wires connected to the O2 Sensor. The key I found is that there is an audible click when you have the connector disengaged. They will only part after you hear the click and might require a little wiggling.

I did that. I got the audible click yanked hard on the wires and bottom part of the clip ( I even used vice grips to hold the bottom part of the clip and it didn't even budge ). I think there is some corrosion within the clip connection. What can I spray that won't degrade the plastic or wires (mainly concerned for the other half that has to remain)?

Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Got my sensor out with a 22mm spanner I think.
But if yours is wedged you may be able to hack saw it enough to get a regular socket into it.
I don't remember how much room was up there.
Yes - lots of blaster and wd40.
Never try to remove it if it is resisting. That strips the threads in the pipe.
Back and forth, CW, CCW, CW, CCW until the sensor is out.
The clip way high up is really hard to deal with.
No advice for that. Was a nightmare for me.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jfall
Got my sensor out with a 22mm spanner I think.
But if yours is wedged you may be able to hack saw it enough to get a regular socket into it.
I don't remember how much room was up there.
Yes - lots of blaster and wd40.
Never try to remove it if it is resisting. That strips the threads in the pipe.
Back and forth, CW, CCW, CW, CCW until the sensor is out.
The clip way high up is really hard to deal with.
No advice for that. Was a nightmare for me.
How did you get that upper passenger side clip out?

Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chicane
How did you get that upper passenger side clip out?
Are you saying that you can't even feel the connector on the passenger's side? If you can feel it but can't pull it lower - don't budge it. You'll just have to take the advice above and use a tool to unclip the locking portion. Take a look at the driver's side or the new ones (if they're Bosch and hopefully a match for what's currently installed) to see the mechanism you're up against.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by schwaggy
Are you saying that you can't even feel the connector on the passenger's side? If you can feel it but can't pull it lower - don't budge it. You'll just have to take the advice above and use a tool to unclip the locking portion. Take a look at the driver's side or the new ones (if they're Bosch and hopefully a match for what's currently installed) to see the mechanism you're up against.
Correct, I cannot get my arm up there in between the exhaust.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Mudding
Exclamation Plug removal

This is the info that I was looking at on the plug guys:

Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum - View Single Post - Oxygen sensor replacement?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I uncliped the upstream passenger side O2 sensor from the top by reaching down through the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Removing O2 sensors